Rock Vocals with Pedalboard

djsnake

Hey y'all, title says it all. This kind of vocals are catching my ear for a while now and i couldn't figure out what's the sauce of it. Sounds clean and at the same time as if it's coming out of a guitar amp. Distorted but not distorted. Squashed but dynamic. I suppose it has something to do with Parallel Processing but couldn't figure out the whole thing. Y'all know how to achieve this?

Well, the reverb and delay are obvious. Then there's at least one more take, possibly two, layered during the choruses. These have to be sung quite tight with the main vocal for a thickening effect instead of a choir effect. But mainly, I'd look into emulating some tape saturation. There's dedicated plugins for that, but you might try the Tape Delay at 100% wet, 0ms and 0%feedback, experiment with Clip Threshold.

I suppose it has something to do with Parallel Processing but couldn't figure out the whole thing. Y'all know how to achieve this?

Yes, there could be some parallel processing there, which basically helps you blend the clean vocal signal (for clarity and articulation) along with a distorted one (for edge, character and color).

To do that, create a send to a bus on your clean vocal track, and insert all your distortion plug-ins on the Aux receiving the bus. Blend the clean track with the distorted aux:

186746443_parallelprocessing.png.9606be49df0e26cad1efe25c37e93161.png