NON Zero Crossing Cuts Detection in Audio File Editor

marcperi

Hi. I’m audio engineer and also audio forensics, and I’m involved sometimes in audio tampering detection. I’m using Izotope rx and praat to study the spectrogram. I was wondering if was possible to search for NON-ZERO-CROSSING cuts in the audio file editor in a fast way. If I have to search for a cut like this, visually, even in only one minute of file, it can takes hours. Any suggestion is welcome.

The audio file editor displays only one audio file, and there are no cuts within a single audio file. So I'm not sure what you're trying to do exactly.

If what you mean is to be able to make new edits without snapping to zero crossings, then control-click the waveform, and in the pop-up menu, deselect "Snap Edits to Zero Crossings".

Hi David :) how are you ? :)

Actually what I try to achieve is if there are some Non Zero Crossing cut in any audio file.

With Zero Crossing edit is impossible to understand if there is a tampering or not, at least in logic… I can figure it out on praat checking the background spectrogram. but I wonder if there is a way to ask logic to catch any Non zero Crossing edit.

Any idea?

Hey Marco! :D

No, there's no such thing in Logic. Apart from A.I. there's no way to determine where there may (or may not) have been a cut in an audio file, zero crossing or not. And even A.I. could get it wrong, because a properly-made cut is not detectable while a badly-made cut could turn out to not be a cut at all.