Automation by Region Issue

angelthman

When I try to use automation by region, sliding a parameter line in a region moves all other lines in other regions, which is counterproductive. Imo that's not so different from track automation. Is there a way to get sliders to move independently in a region?

Indeed region automation should be independent in each region, and it certainly is here. Can you show a screenshot, or share steps to reproduce this behavior? How to attach files to your post

Maybe you don't understand my issue. As you can see, when the video poster moves the line in one region, the line also moves in the adjoining regions. Is there a way to make the line move in one region, while on the other regions it remains at it was. That's what I would call independent.

Isn't that just a "ghost" line to visually represent the current value of that parameter? It seems to visually update when you change selections.

Ignoring the faded line in the background, if I have a parameter set to 100 and draw in region automation on Region A down to 0, locating the playhead to Region B with no automation brings the parameter back to 100. Does it not do the same for you?

Maybe in the video he's using aliases of the same region?

For my own edification I just tested this a little and it seems to be an indication of where the parameter currently is, so it won't require aliases to follow anything but won't affect any parameters either.

You can see it updating as I locate and change selections. I'm assuming that's so you don't see it following the automation around during playback. Nifty!

9lRUDHv.gif

Maybe in the video he's using aliases of the same region?

For my own edification I just tested this a little and it seems to be an indication of where the parameter currently is, so it won't require aliases

What I was saying is that if all his regions in his videos are aliases, that would explain why you see the ghost line follow the one he's editing. I don't get that behavior here with normal, independent regions.

It gives me that behavior. I just discovered that it appears to be that you need to select each region one by one so that they can be automated individually. Unselected regions are impacted, which is weird. Should be the other way around.

I wanted to attach screen movie to demonstrate, but don't know how to attach here.

I wanted to attach screen movie to demonstrate, but don't know how to attach here.

See: How to attach files to your post — you can attach animated .gif files (I use the free https://www.cockos.com/licecap/ app for that), or for movie files you'd have to upload to YouTube and link to them.

Meanwhile I wouldn't worry too much about that ghost automation line you're seeing on the other regions, it seems a bit buggy to be honest, but it doesn't mean much until you actually put a solid yellow automation curve line in there. Otherwise, that ghost line doesn't affect the volume playback of the region (the fader stays where it was).

Thanks for the help. Here is the gif.

Great. So as I said earlier, the ghost lines really don't mean anything, don't worry about them. Automation exists only once you see a solid line (yellow for volume).

For example I managed to find myself in that situation where the last region has its ghost automation line at -15.4 dB, yet it plays at +1.5 dB, because that's the last automation value the fader has read in the previous region.

It's just a graphic glitch, and if I redraw the main window I see the correct value (the value of the previous region). If you move the region to a different position in your arrangement then the ghost automation line should be updated.

1965547399_automationghostline.png.fdf0296135bedfb5a555236f6e9e187a.png

For me it changes the parameter for all regions that the line moves. When I play, each affected region now has the adjusted volume/pan, etc.

Ok I think I understand what you're saying: any region that does not have an automation line has its volume fader automated to the value of the last automation value in the previous region that has an automation line. But that doesn't mean that the regions themselves have an automation line (they don't have one).

For example create two regions and create an automation line only in the first one.

Mute or delete the region where you've inserted a yellow automation line, and you'll see that the other region is unaffected.

Move the region that doesn't have an automation line before the region that has an automation ilne, and you'll see that the region that doesn't have an automation line is unaffected.

Create a new region after a region that has a yellow automation line and it is affected.

Is that the behavior you're getting also?

Now I'm not 100% sure whether this is by design or a bug, and I'll inquire. However, for now, if you want one region at a value and the other to stay put at zero, then I would recommend you create lines in all regions, the value you want in the one region, and zero in the others.

Having to create lines in all regions could be a pain, especially in long pieces. Seems counterproductive that the function is programmed that way.

You might be able to do it faster.

I see what you mean, there are some situations where that “catch” approach to automation would be inconvenient. Perhaps if you want to “establish” automation more quickly you could draw a single line on the track and use the command “Automation -> Move Current Track Data to Region”?