Knobs mapping does not work

PeterBergman
Go to solution Solved by des99,

Hi guys, I use a komplete kontrol with M1 Mac in logic pro, all good I can play keys, when I open logic knobs they are mapped automatically to the volume, pan, master volume etc, so I can use knobs to control these parameters. The problem starts when I try to map the knobs for example to serum cut off filter using a control surface it does not work. When I move the knob on KK "NO message received yet' can be seen all the time. What's strange is when I press the keyboard key logic receiving a message I can see 'Learned' so I can map a key to the Serum cut off knob as normal. Knobs don't work with the native synth of KK or Logic too. I set Logic to open in the rosetta app I set firewall options, also KK midi in and out in standalone, there is no USB hub between the KK and my M1 mini.. Did I miss something? if someone here has any idea whats the issue please let me know. Thank you.

The problem starts when I try to map the knobs for example to serum cut off filter using a control surface it does not work.

Using what control surface exactly? The KK or something else?

When I move the knob on KK "NO message received yet' can be seen all the time. What's strange is when I press the keyboard key logic receiving a message I can see 'Learned' so I can map a key to the Serum cut off knob as normal. Knobs don't work with the native synth of KK or Logic too.

Perhaps the KK knobs aren't sending the expected MIDI data because they're already assigned? Use the MIDI input monitor in Logic's LCD display to determine whether or not Logic receives MIDI data when playing a key and/or when moving a knob or slider.

• Solution

The Komplete Kontrol keyboard works as a control surface in Logic, and the knobs are all handled by NI's communcation scheme - you can't also use them to map to MIDI directly with their regular functionality.

The KK app does have a new section added in more recent versions where you can have a generic MIDI mode and set the knobs to send regular CC's in that mode, so you should investigate that. I can't remember the key command to get into that mode (as I don't use it), but it's something like Shift + Plugin or similar. More details in their documentation. But yes, put the KK into MIDI mode, and the knobs send generic MIDI and can be MIDI learned and used in that mode only.