Help with annoying instrument assignment glitch

Jadorenova

Hi there! Logic Noob here :)

I’m not sure if I’m doing something wrong, or if this is an actual glitch…

So occasionally when I start a new project, I will create a track with a specific instrument, and then I will create another track and try to assign a new instrument to that track, but it ends up changing the original track’s instrument instead of the new one I created.

For reference, I am using the MacBook M1

How do you create the other track, using a key command? It sounds like when you create another track, you actually create a new track assigned to the same instrument (Track > Other > New Track With Same Instrument).

Instead, make sure you create a new track assigned to a new instrument. To do that, choose Track > New Software Instrument Track, or click the + button and choose Software Instrument in the New Tracks dialog.

I’m not sure if I’m doing something wrong

You're not doing anything *wrong*, you're just not quite understanding Logic's concept of tracks and assigned instrument, and there are a lot of options here.

Unlike many DAWs, you can have multiple tracks assigned to the same instrument/channel, so changes to the instrument/channel are common to all tracks that use that instrument/channel.

You should create a new track with a new instrument, not a new track pointing to the same instrument. There are key commands etc for all these things.