No audio from synth - sorry beginner

jhart8

Hello,

I am using an M1 MacBook Air with Logic -

- audio interface is Yamaha CP73

- Roland D50 audio out is connected to input in CP

- Roland D50 midi out/in to Roland Uno One midi interface - all is setup in Audio/Midi set up on Mac

- Add a track using External /InstrumentMidi plug in - select audio in/out to CP 1+2, Midi Destination =D50 Channel ALL

Problem - I can hear the audio from D50 but there is no metre reading audio on the track. When I record the synth it will record the midi only, no audio.

I am specifically looking for the audio to record the synth into Auto-Sampler.

I hope I have explained myself clearly, any help would be appreciated.

I’m looking up these items to try and help but I can’t find a product called “Roland Uno One”. I see a “Roland UM-One” and also know there’s an “M-Audio Uno”, both basically the same item (5-pin midi to USB interface).

If you can give the exact name (including the generation since there’s an mkII of the Roland product) we might be better able to assist.

Also when you say you “can hear the audio from D50”, do you mean you can hear the D50 audio inside of Logic? I assume this is what you mean, but “assuming” is the last thing you want to do when troubleshooting lol.

I suspect the issue is that you’re just missing a bus routing in logic to capture the audio, since you’re recording on an instrument track with the External Instrument plugin, recording on that track is going to record MIDI information.

Thanks for the replies - Yes , I have the drivers for the Yamaha CP correctly installed for the Mac M1.

And yes - sorry it is UM-One Midi to USB MII. That driver is installed for M1 and a virtual connection made to the D50 in Audio/Midi Setup.

When I setup an external instrument track for the D50 I can hear the audio of the D50 inside of Logic. But there is no meter reading of audio in the inspector channel strip. If I record on the track it does record the midi.

But I want to use Auto Sampler to sample the D50 so that is why I need to have the audio incoming. I have watched videos and it looks simple but for some reason I do not have audio in the channel strip.

Thanks for the replies - Yes , I have the drivers for the Yamaha CP correctly installed for the Mac M1.

And yes - sorry it is UM-One Midi to USB MII. That driver is installed for M1 and a virtual connection made to the D50 in Audio/Midi Setup.

When I setup an external instrument track for the D50 I can hear the audio of the D50 inside of Logic. But there is no meter reading of audio in the inspector channel strip. If I record on the track it does record the midi.

But I want to use Auto Sampler to sample the D50 so that is why I need to have the audio incoming. I have watched videos and it looks simple but for some reason I do not have audio in the channel strip.

Ahhh, now we’re getting somewhere! You’re not hearing the D50 inside Logic then, you’re most likely hearing it from your Mac’s system audio.

You can test this by closing Logic and seeing if you still hear the D50. If so it’s audio coming from the System level (macOS) and not the application level (Logic).

You’ve got something routed or configured incorrectly if this is the case. We’d need some

Screenshots from you to see how you’ve got things set up.

Send a screenshot of the following (hold Command+Shift and press the number 3 button above the letter keys):

Your Mac audio settings:

Apple logo in upper-left corner > system preferences > Sound.

02E65DBD-D68A-4E13-8B74-1364DC1037B0.png.7ed4a57a4b04ee5e5b26487c7fd8d193.png

Yes, my audio interface is named “Screw M-Audio”, long story lol

Logic Pro audio settings:

Logic Pro > Preferences > Audio…

F328B9AA-BF6E-479C-9760-B70337D4429C.thumb.png.ac68de19493c71d666b3badcbbd0b660.png

External Instrument plugin:

Hopefully you know where this is lol

4FD01FB2-AF26-4D45-A6D2-87D08B7EC5F2.png.2129367515cbc323cbbb7d25cce02f52.png

That all looks correct. Sadly, I found this in the user manual for the CP73 when using it as an audio interface:

6CA08F8B-BF5F-4E65-9E29-F0E7E5BF2D4D.thumb.jpeg.388d99b075b789b78322ddad746742e6.jpeg

This seems to say that you’re not getting audio because it’s not passing audio via the USB connection, or put another way this “issue” is because of the hardware limitations.

You hear the D50 because its audio is being passed through to the output jacks, but it’s not being sent to Logic via usb.