How to connect an External Compressor

nikoseliot

Hi,

I'm trying to connect external hardware gear to LPX for the first time and can't get it to work.

Specifically, I want to connect an Apollo 3630 compressor to my Apollo x8p interface and use it to mix in Logic Pro X. I'll list my steps as clearly as I can and hopefully someone can see a step I'm missing in my process:

1. Using a DB25 cable, I connect my Apollo x8p's 'Line Out' into the 'Line In' of my Alesis Channel A input

2. Next, using a TRS cable, I connect my Alesis Channel A output into 'Line Input 1' on my Apollo

*(note, I'm not going from my Alesis output back into my Apollo's DB25 input- maybe this could be the issue? I only have one DB25 cable at the moment so that's why I'm going back into the Line Input 1 with a TRS cable instead)

3. Next, I go into Logic and on the track I want to compress, I insert the 'I/O' plugin under the track's 'Audio FX'

4. In the 'I/O' plugin I set the Output to 1 and the Input to 1

5. I expect to hear the Alesis affecting the audio at this point, but I don't hear any difference and there are no meter lights on the Alesis front panel to indicate that it is working besides the power light.

Two ideas:

1. If I'm using the DB25 to go from the Apollo's 'Line Out' into the Alesis' 'Input' would I also need to use a DB25 to return the signal from the Alesis' 'Output' back into the Apollo's 'Line In'? Currently, I'm using a TRS cable for this connection

2. Since the Alesis is a Dual Channel Compressor, do I need to connect Channel B as well? I assumed it would work with just using channel A

Anyway, any thoughts pointing me in the right direction are very appreciated.

Thanks!