Live updating of fades very slow?

sunbrother

Using Logic Pro Trial 10.6.3, I notice that the live updating of fades and edges on audio regions is very slow.

• When moving the fade or edge, it does not affect playback until I let go of the mouse.
  • After letting go of the mouse, it will play as is for a second, then mute for about two seconds, then the new fade or region size takes effect.

For reference, there is one audio track in the song with one audio file I recorded and no inserts, sends, or processing. Behaves the same on my MacBook and my Mac Pro, internal and external HDs, so it doesn't seem like my system is the bottleneck unless there are preferences that would fix this.

This seems pretty slow to me compared to other software. I see posts from a year or two ago indicating that this is a new-ish feature. Is it just this slow all the time?

Logic does a fair amount of audio buffering, depending on the latency induced by the plug-ins used in various point in your signal routing inside the Mixer. That means that depending on your routing, it may or may not be able to update your edits in real time: any audio that has already been buffered will not be affected by any edits you perform after the audio was buffered.

To update the buffers, stop then resume playback. A quick double-press on the Spacebar should do it.

Logic does a fair amount of audio buffering, depending on the latency induced by the plug-ins used in various point in your signal routing inside the Mixer. That means that depending on your routing, it may or may not be able to update your edits in real time: any audio that has already been buffered will not be affected by any edits you perform after the audio was buffered.

To update the buffers, stop then resume playback. A quick double-press on the Spacebar should do it.

OK. I find it surprising that even in a song with one audio event on one audio track, no inserts, and a block size of 128, there is a ~4 second delay updating fades during playback (video attached).

Tapping spacebar does update them instantaneously, though, so I guess I'll start double tapping play. I guess I got used to how Cubase, Studio One, and Live update fades and clip gain instantaneously during playback.

@fisherking There's nothing wrong with stopping, editing, and restarting, but Logic is currently attempting to do it "live." It's just doing it slower than I'm used to.

Fade Updating Speed.mov.zip

A video illustrating the issue.

No, there's nothing weird, it's just how Logic is coded, and how they've optimized for resource handling, and that includes buffering for cycle playback. I certainly don'e hear a 4 second delay in your video so I think you're exaggerating it a bit. ;)

Feels like four when I'm waiting for it! ;) The processing time does vary, which makes sense if the program is waiting for operations to finish before updating the events. Shortening regions is faster than lengthening them for some reason.

Oh well!