Trouble with "separate by note pitch"

RWK

Hi All,

Im trying to separate my drum midi file into individual channels to the instrument...

However, when I select separate not by pitch it just separates them all into all kick channels? Furthermore the notes are still being played through the desired channel ie - snare, hats etc... but on newly created channels that all resemble kick drums..

Has anyone experienced this? Its really weird and Ive got no idea what to do...

Any help would be awesome.

Ok then if all you wanted is to separate the MIDI regions onto individual tracks and you have achieved that, you can rename the tracks. However they're all assigned the same channel strip.

If what you wanted is to get separate channel strips in the mixer then there was no need to separate the notes in the Tracks area.

Basically Logic allows you for a lot of flexibility in assigning tracks to channel strips, and when you separate notes by pitch all it does is create multiple tracks (for each pitch), all assigned to the same channel strip.

If you want, tell us what exact instrument and/or patch you're using for your drums, and what the ultimate goal is, so that we can suggest a workflow?

Electronic kit/drum kit designer... which has the drop down selection to see all your instruments

I just want to right click/select and have the notes split up and broken off to its designated channel

Ok I see what you mean. And I do agree that the behavior is not exactly intuitive. However, I'm afraid that there's no real easy way to make each MIDI region land on its correct track:you'll need to drag the MIDI regions you have to the designated channels if that's what you want. But my question was, why do you want that? What is your workflow? Why not keep all your drums inside the same MIDI region?

For example if the goal is to treat the audio with different plug-ins, you can already do that on each sound's channel, even if all the notes come from the same MIDI region.

• 6 months later...
Ok then if all you wanted is to separate the MIDI regions onto individual tracks and you have achieved that, you can rename the tracks. However they're all assigned the same channel strip.

If what you wanted is to get separate channel strips in the mixer then there was no need to separate the notes in the Tracks area.

Basically Logic allows you for a lot of flexibility in assigning tracks to channel strips, and when you separate notes by pitch all it does is create multiple tracks (for each pitch), all assigned to the same channel strip.

If you want, tell us what exact instrument and/or patch you're using for your drums, and what the ultimate goal is, so that we can suggest a workflow?

I'm in a similar boat as the original poster, I've got a MIDI track of SoCal drums I want in different tracks for independent control for effects. If I Edit > Separate MIDI events > Separate by Note Pitch, it separates the tracks, but doesn't give me separate channel strips in the mixer for each drum. Adjusting one drum's track's volume in the Main window will move all the track's volumes - which i don't want at all. How do I separate the drums so they have independent control. Ideally, I'd like them all in a folder stack.

Just so you know exactly what I'm looking at, the original MIDI track's channel strip name is "SoCal" and the instrument is "Drum Kit" (or, I guess "Drum Kit Designer" as the full name is too long to be displayed in the channel strip.)

UPDATE:

I found a way - change the original MIDI drum track from Stereo to Multi-Output

I undid the Separate by Note Pitch, then with that same original channel strip of the MIDI drums, I...

1. Changed the instrument from Drum Kit Designer > Stereo to Drum Kit Designer > Multi-Output.

2. Then, in the Main window, with that drum track selected, I did the Separate By Note Pitch, which separates the 10 track into their own tracks AND gives you a +/- button in the mixer that you don't have with Stereo.

3. Back in the mixer, I had 10 separate drum tracks so I clicked the + button 10 times which gave me these new tracks with input name in the mixer (sorry for this post's spacing between track name and input name, the tabs I have in the edit window for this post don't work in the submitted version) :

Kick Drum3-4

Snare Drum5-6

Hi-Hat/Perc Drum7-8

Toms Drum9-10

Aux 7 Drum 11

Aux 8 Drum 12

Aux 9 Drum 13

Aux 10 Drum 14

Aux 11 Drum 15

Aux 12 Drum 16

Only the Kick and Snare correctly named the track with the correct drum that was on it. But that’s OK, to rename them all correctly, I was able to determine which track held which drum by, in the Main window

1. Selecting each track and visual finding an event in the track and moving the Playhead nearby that event

2. Pressing E to open the Piano Roll editor

3. clicking on the drum to hear its sound (and also looking to the left margin to see its drum name.)

So with that, in the Main window, I renamed the tracks to appropriate names. So I have what I want for independent control - in the mixer anyway.

From there, I was able to select all the 10 drum tracks AND* the original all-drums track, put them into a folder stack which gives me the hide-ability plus the independent control.

* if you don’t also select that original all-drums track that you started with, you be in a weird where you still have the 10 mixer tracks in the mixer, but the folder stack only shows hides the drum in the main window, but doesn’t show them in the mixer. Again, weird.

What's still weird is that the names of the tracks in the mixer do not match the appropriate names I gave them in the Main Window. I guess because they're Aux tracks (so I'll need to rename them to the Main window names to match. When I open and close the folder stack, it opens and closes all tracks in both the Main Window and Mixer.)

The problem I have is if I move a drum track in the Main window, it doesn't move it in the mixer. But I can live with that, for now.

Does anyone foresee any problems with this scenario?

Edited by JohnnyHands

I'm in a similar boat as the original poster, I've got a MIDI track of SoCal drums I want in different tracks with independent control for effects. If I Edit > Separate MIDI events > Separate by Note Pitch, it separates the tracks, but doesn't give me separate channel strips in the mixer for each drum. Adjusting one drum's track's volume in the Main window will move all the track's volumes - which i don't want at all. How do I separate the drums so they have independent control. Ideally, I'd like them all in a folder stack.

Just so you know exactly what I'm looking at, the original MIDI track's channel strip name is "SoCal" and the instrument is "Drum Kit" (or, I guess "Drum Kit Designer" as the full name is too long to be displayed in the channel strip.)

If what you want is independent control over effects, there's no need to separate the MIDI events on the track. What you want is to have separate channel strips in the Mixer, one for each drum kit piece.

The best way is to start with a producer kit. Here's how you could proceed now:

1. Open the Library,

2. Click to the left of the DrumKit plug-in on the channel strip to have a blue triangle that points from the library to that plug-in.

3. Look at the selected setting for the plug-in. Chances are it's SoCal if that's the name of your channel strip.

4. In the Library, choose Producer Kits > SoCal.

5. In the Mixer, at the bottom of the SoCal channel strip, click the triangle to expand the stack and see all the individual channel strips.