Logic Pro v10.6.3 MIDI Record & App Quits

Zephar77

I have an template created in 2015 with a number of audio and MIDI tracks with plug-ins ready to record.

Something has happened with MIDI. When I click on Record for three separate single MIDI channels 4, 5 & 6 created for bass from a Godin MultiAc MIDI guitar Logic Pro Quits every time. Now, if I even click on the MIDI channel in Mixer in quits. No reason, error message, nothing. Is there some problem with MIDI?

I am trying to create a new 3 channel setup for bass assignment, but having trouble getting it as before, as it worked for years, and created back when you had to do it in the MIDI Environment all the filters, assignments and cables linking it all together to make it work.

Any help would be appreciated.

Best, Seth

Dang, I have to relearn how to do the MIDI tracks and devices I created before. It was a nightmarish thing back in the beginning. We had to do it through MIDI environment and do all sorts of filters and linking with digital cables in order to create a separate MIDI track output from my Godin MultiAc MIDI guitar. The problem was creating in MIDI environment a device that output only channel 4 or 5 or 6, then another that output

channels 1–6.

Can I just create a new track in logic pro for channel 4, 5, and 6, by selecting MIDI output device, then select what channel I want it to output from the first IAC selection I see? Which output destination should I use? Only the Roland is identified, and the others or not ID’d, and channels look like you need to select all over again, and you can only select one channel or all ? Why are there so many listed, including my MIDI interface the

Roland GI–20?

The three separate channels 4–6 represent bass strings to assign to a bass virtual instrument. Then I create one last MIDI instrument that broadcasts on channels 1 - 6, which will represent the entire MIDI guitar. And assign to various virtual instruments, such as guitar or chords to a synthesizer, etc, all that come with Logic Pro.

Did a search for Ballad Electric Bass, which was assigned to each of the bass instruments for channel 4, 5 and 6 previously, but nothing showed. The library is completely changed and couldn’t figure out how to navigate. I can select a track and the info shows and I can select an instrument there, and selected number 34, picked bass, to see if it would work. Nothing. The MDI guitar channels 1–6, did work, but when selected to show MIDI in the mixer, it displayed a whole lot of channel strips I did not select nor want to use. And the channel strips have no options to select anything. It’s just a mess.

I had everything so neat and orderly before.

I see how to select one channel at a time, within Logic Pro, but how do I select six channels at one time? I see through the MIDI utility app I can do this, but Where is it within logic pro? How do I selected for a track, and create a channel strip in mixer window? I see there still is a selection for MIDI environment, but it doesn’t look anything like it did, crazy complicated before.

When I first started with my Mac Plus all we had was David Oppenheim‘s Sequencer version 1.0, untill he finally released StudioVision, with a graphic representation for notes, instead of only having quantization. Talked with local folks at Guitar Center recently, and none understand. Everyone’s gone with audio and loops. They’re missing out on a huge area of versatility!

Once everything works, you can easily correct where the meeting notes go for timing, for attack, length and so forth, then select whatever instrument you would like.

I sure hope I can get some advice what to do to get back a working template. It’s like starting all over again, which took me several weeks to do years ago.

Best, Seth

P.S. TeamViewer set up on both IMac’s.Only the Roland is identified, and the others I already selected watch

09D5F160-44E4-4314-BE1F-27BF497236A9.thumb.jpeg.9e3beb0026e4a78ca5ed7e3054311ade.jpeg

82F376A6-444A-4111-A75F-9010D3B4A55B.thumb.jpeg.8a96b8ac723edda3c3a3fb7511317fb9.jpeg

25CB64B4-A2CE-4EAA-B38B-71329FC26284.thumb.jpeg.cc0bc70866a34f883a8a38ce9b5528d4.jpeg

A74A9A9B-C0B7-43C5-B912-4424054D200B.thumb.jpeg.cec43efa972ccae8bed0c829c72348cc.jpeg

BC476CD8-2AD9-4862-961B-EF307C5907B5.thumb.jpeg.304e5bdd7d5c11af9f73d4eb902765a6.jpeg

Dude, relax. Take a deep breath.

I may be wrong, but I understand you want MIDI channels 1, 2 and 3 on separate tracks/instruments and MIDI channels 4,5 and 6 on one track/instrument, plus 1,2,3,4,5 and 6 on yet another track/instrument, right ?

You do this in the Environment, and it's not too complicated.

But first, go into Preferences > Advanced Settings and enable at least Audio, MIDI and Advanced Editing:

1631562828_Bildschirmfoto2021-10-07um23_54_17.png.55d68bc51ce820ee3e41e8b374502db7.png

Open the MIDI Environment and choose the Click & Ports Layer from the popup top left. Move the SequencerIn object on the right even more to the right and the keyboard down, to make room for our patch, like this:

1712969435_Bildschirmfoto2021-10-07um23_48_18.thumb.png.c8db9f58ab438a9281af9cecd833a3b9.png

Now create two Transformers and two Monitors from the local New Menu, and rearrange them and cable them like this:

1137707379_Bildschirmfoto2021-10-07um23_34_54.thumb.png.fe2a35c98ffdb73c82977a96e458fc41.png

Double-click the left Transformer and set it like this:

1779687080_Bildschirmfoto2021-10-07um23_32_20.png.115fbae6172f808d4c38a6c701b165f5.png

This will affect all notes on channels 4-6 and change them to 4. These are all the bass strings, ready to trigger your single bass instrument later on.

Now double-click the right Transformer and set it exactly like this:

1687334476_Bildschirmfoto2021-10-07um23_32_27.png.23802289ff06227ae66874a8403a3242.png

This will affect all notes on channels 1-6 and copy them to channel 5. These are all strings, ready to trigger your single synth instrument later on.

Here is what notes on six channels look like after the first Transformer:

1076131644_Bildschirmfoto2021-10-07um23_35_37.png.241914f3d2e257825f8b74897263d39e.png

Channels 1,2, 3 and 4 get through unaffected and 5 and 6 are being changed to 4.

Here is what notes on these four channels look like after the second Transformer:

239284793_Bildschirmfoto2021-10-07um23_35_52.png.cbf91cc594cf8e7bb820c816065139de.png

All notes are duplicated to channel 5.

Close the Environment window, open Project Settings > Recording and check Auto Demix By Channel If Multitrack Recording:

735478264_Bildschirmfoto2021-10-07um23_51_53.png.0b9689440e853d4d9786eb596f1d351f.png

Now close that window, go to the Main window and create five Instrument Tracks, and change each Instrument's MIDI channel to one of five in the Instrument Inspector, like this:

430405241_Bildschirmfoto2021-10-08um00_07_18.png.d120f3c92942af858c83c667cee89a36.png

The next step is not strictly necessary but it simplifies handling tremendously. Select all five Tracks and assign them to Group 1 in the bottom part of the Channel, between "Stereo Out" and "Read". In the Group Inspector, set that Group to couple the Rec buttons of all Tracks in that Group:

1540320531_Bildschirmfoto2021-10-08um00_14_31.thumb.png.79f7a7d67b6ebe2e4bfb91a2f7ea34d8.png

I will continue in the next post, this one seems to have maxed out, stand by...

Edited by fuzzfilth

Now if you click one Rec button, all five will get red. Playing on the different strings will play on tracks 1, 2, 3, strings 4, 5 and 6 will play on track 4 and all strings will also play on track 5. The sounds you hear will be all the same, you can change that later on.

MR1.gif.e3f1436d91af7f448f5e21f5764ef7f7.gif

If you hit Record, then Stop, all notes will get placed on their respective Tracks:

MR2.gif.fb89cd73cd1e40578e97ae4f82748f03.gif

That's it. Change the sounds to your liking then save this as your Template and you're set.

These are the directions I remember sent to me by a member everyone called Doc, from over seven years ago, and after it was set and working, forgot about it. I saved it from what Doc sent me, but it will not open in LP 10. I tried copy and pasting the MIDI environment into a newly created project from scratch. No go. They did some changes in the code that could not be overcome. That was back when it was LP 7 or 8, I think. And A project from a few years ago that contains that’s set up will open in LP 10, but if I click on any of the MIDI instrument tracks LP quits immediately. It also quits if open library and click on a patch. Grrrrr…. I forgot you have to create a soft synth for the MIDI instruments to play to, and messed with that for a couple hours trying to get sound from a midi instrument, but all the strings sound on every instrument, which is not what I want.

I’ve done the steps once before and created quite an environmental mess, but I got all working perfectly. The sixth string Assigned to one channel, on the Godin MIDI guitar to play by itself to an instrument, the fifth string to play to an instrument and the fourth string to play to an instrument. One string plays on A different channel. Then I could play bass line using the three strings, which is sufficient. At the same time the acoustic pickup can play through a regular instrument track and control through an audio channels. The acoustic MIDI guitar I will set that as a separate instrument using channels one through six. You almost have my set up as I had it before, but you put the steps down so I can accomplish again what I did some years ago. I’ll let you know and thank you so much! Best, Seth

fuzzfilth said:
Porting Templates over the years (or, more importantly, Logic versions), especially more elaborate ones, has proven problematic.

If at all possible, rebuild your Template, it might be far easier than years back and it certainly will be faster than trying to debug this glitch.

•••••••••••••••••••• ••••••••••••••••••••

Thank you so much sir for the directions for re-creating my MIDI environment in logic pro 10. Your method is somewhat different than what Doc sent me years ago, and I will send you a screenshot of that MIDI environment when I get home.

Had to take a break after over six hours, and now sending you this from Starbucks. Been sitting in front of that iMac since 10:30 am this morning until 5:30 PM, and had difficulty getting out of my chair, concentrating so hard trying to get things working. I always go until I accomplish my mission, but not so young anymore.

Your description is close. What I had set up was the fourth, fifth and sixth strings of the Godin MIDI guitar, and each of the lower four strings would play on one channel each, and only that string would sound. No particular reason I chose 4, 5 and 6, wait, yes, corresponding with the fourth, fifth and sixth strings of the guitar!

So there are three MIDI instruments, one each playing one string on one channel, choosing channels four, five and six, the same as the guitar strings - seemed like a logical method. Next I created a Godin MIDI guitar instrument to sound on all six strings allowing channels 1–6 to pass through, but block/filter chs 7–16. Then created a regular audio instrument for the acoustic pick up at the bridge, and then another for the lipstick pick up by the neck, like an old telecaster. However, the lipstick pickup created a lot of HUM, 60 cycle one, which I tried every trick in the book to eliminate and eventually gave up on that one. So, this created a situation where I could play the guitar and have it playing bass notes and the guitar at the same time, for a live performance. For some reason the Roland GI-20 worked the best with the least delay, errors, in my situation and set up. I first tried and the GR55, which did way more than I needed. Sent that back to Kenny at Sweetwater, an old friend for 30 years in Gary Indiana, and found this unit, No longer sold on eBay. It was like brand new and appeared never used. I just wanted a quick midi interface into the DAW. This created a much better inspirational environment before recording.

I’ll send you a screenshot of my midi environment I had previously that Doc sent me from here as a file, a template setup file. It wasn’t exactly correct for what I wanted, but only needed a few changes in the filters, and cabling. He use the icon view rather than list view, and only used the port to sequencer to set up the keyboard to the sequencer, then switched to midi view, but as icons. That made it less confusing. Hopefully I’ll be able to figure out your directions, so nicely done step by step.

Send the environment screenshots when I get home.

Best, Seth

OK, I have it working as you have described; however, what I would like is only the 4th, 5th and 6th strings to play on their separate channels 4, 5, and 6; and, the first 3 strings do not play at all. Those are 3 instruments.

Then create another instrument that will play all 6 strings on chs 1 - 6. This setup has all the strings playing all the time; but, it is close. This is what happened the first time as I recall. I will send ScreenShots of the 3 bass instruments, each only playing on ONE channel, 4, 5, or 6. Then a separate instrument that will act like an acoustic guitar, but just notes being recorded, which I can then assign to what ever sound patch works.

I would ask you to exactly replicate the screen shots I made for you, down to the positions of elements. Only once you got that working should you start changing it up, if necessary.

You have seen how Transformer 1 collects channels 4,5 and 6 and changes them to 4, so you can easily modify that to collect 1, 2 and 3 to, say, 3 and now you have room to duplicate all notes in Transformer 2 to channel 2 ( instead of 5 ). The five software instruments will then have to be changed from channels 1 through 5 to channels 2 through 6.

Hmmm, Yes, I duplicated all your steps, and got it working exactly as you described it. However, I’ll have to study how to make the changes you suggest to get the working results. Still trying to figure out how the transformers work.

I have another question and I’ve tried to fix this, and finally deleted logic pro and downloaded again, starting with a clean new project. Whenever I create a track and I click open library, or open library after the track is created, if I click on any instrument patch name in the library on the left side, LogicPro immediately quits. I can only select Instruments and their patches from within the channel strips info. So, there must be something wrong somewhere for this to be happening. Are there any known conflicting apps or software that logic pro doesn’t like? I quit every app except Logic Pro, deleted most all start up items, and still does not work. I’ll try starting up in safe mode . If that fixes it, what does that tell me? Perhaps I should reinstall Big Sur? I’ve already done a first aid check and on my external HD’s and my internal SSD, all check fine.

Best,

Seth

duplicated all your steps, and got it working exactly as you described it.

That's great, well done.

Still trying to figure out how the transformers work.

Look closely at the pictures of the opened Transformers. The upper area sets the Conditions on which notes are affected or not. Here, they have to be 'Inside 4 and 6'. You want them to be 'Inside 1 and 3'. The lower area is what should happen to the affected notes. Here, they should change to MIDI channel 4. You want them to become MIDI channel 3. The other Transformer should duplicate all notes to channel 2, instead of 5.

Perhaps I should reinstall Big Sur?

I'm still on Mojave and Logic X.5.1, so I wouldn't know.

Are you not using Big Sur because of Logic Pro, or the year of your iMac or desktop? My late 2014 barely made the cut, and my other 27 inch iMac, mid 2011, stopped at Sierra, which has proved very valuable for doing a lot of things you cannot do with Big Sur anymore. To my relief using a thunderbolt 2 cable command-F2 still works for Target display, which is great having two 27 inch screens for Logic Pro. And can read your directions on one, the 2011, and make the changes on their Big Sur iMac. I’m almost thinking of going back to my older Mac which is using 10.4 logic pro, and my old template works fine there. But I will reinstall Big Sur and see if that fixes the quick quit of logic pro every time I click on anything in library on the left side. I can only use it to locate a patch. Grrr. Thanks so much for your assistance sir. Best, Seth

Two reasons: 1. My MacPro from 2010 would top out with Catalina and I need identical OS- and Logic versions on all three machines for seamless project transfer between live and studio. 2. Catalina ends support of 32bit software which I'm not willing to let go. That's why I'll stay on Mojave at least until the MacPro dies.

Yes, likewise happy to still have my mid-2011 iMac, 12,2, which maxes out with High Sierra, but Sierra 10.12.6, works best. So, we have very similar iMac’s, but using different versions of macOS; but, more similar, Mojave & Sierra, than Sierra/Mojave vs Big Sur, yes? All 32-bit apps had circles with a cross through them, with few updates. Some of those apps were my favorites. My good ole’ 2011, so easy to take apart with a couple suction cups, and a little kit with plastic pry tools and clamps. Installed two SSDs where the optical drive was located, one directly to the motherboard, so very quick, and the other just hooked up to the optical cable and runs at half the speed, but still very quick.

I’m considering switching LogicPro DAW to the older iMac, and our systems should be fairly equivalent. I’m reinstalling Big Sur while on break at Starbucks where I’m sitting now. Since I’m having to start from scratch in Big Sur, why not go back to a simpler, basic LogicPro 10.4, as I just don’t use all that many options. I mastered MIDI many years ago when it first came out and that’s all there was, with David Oppenheim‘s Sequencer, and you could not see what you were doing and only use MIDI Quantization to try to correct note attack placement. It was a bit ridiculous as the three expensive MIDI guitars were pretty worthless. Later David created the graphic piano roll version, making everything so much easier(possible) in StudioVision. At about this time is when Digidesign came out with audio recording for the Macintosh(Apple). A lot of folks don’t know that only Macintosh supported musicians for almost a decade before transferring to PC platform. DigiDesign’s initial MIDI implementation was not worth the trouble, so had to sync the two apps using MTC just when multitasking was possible.

Is there anything you can think of, or would be losing going back to my 2011? Well, no more support, but I used extensively EXS24 sampler, and there’s no longer exists, supposedly replacing with multi sampler(?), and that’s why LogicPro was crashing when I selected the MIDI bass tracks. They were set for a program patch that didn’t exist, ESX24 Ballard acoustic bass. At least I am I suspect that was the reason, as soon as I selected a patch that was available, number 32–35, worked fine with your set up after I got that working great actually it worked the first time and only took me about 10 minutes. Your instructions were flawless, step-by-step easy to follow, especially with the screenshots with the directions.

So, I’m either going to re-create the mini environment in Big Sur, or if it still crashes trying to select something in the library, I’ll have to track down what it is with restarting and safe mode in leading start up items that must be the conflict with the new LogicPro 10.6.

Dang! Big Sur install is complete checking with TeamViewer, started up LogicPro and selected library, acoustic guitars, 12 string, crash, instant quit!

I’ll try a couple say starch and laminate wood what I think most likely might be the problem like StatMenus, Quitshortcuts, and similar. I have a western digital external drive using for one of the time machine dries, but head difficult time getting it to mount or show up, until I install western digital‘s “helper extensions“, and needed to be in start up items, two of them. I’m very suspicious of these. But if I take them out, Time Machine may not be able to find it, but no big deal as it is only 2TB, and my main Time Machine HD is a 8TB Seagate, never a problem.

Gads!

Best, Seth

I suggest you simplify your setup while troubleshooting ie don’t have any startup items at all.

1. Just Big Sur and Logic installed - does Logic work? If yes

2. Add your external discs - do they mount? BTW what format are they using? And does Logic still work?

3. Add your nonLogic programs one at a time checking Logic works after each addition.

At any point in this if Logic stops working as it should - you have found the issue and maybe some here can help with it.

When you have redone your system this way and it all works try the modifications to the environment in Logic.

I started up in safe mode, but logic pro couldn’t be tested because essential components weren’t loaded. So I eliminated most everything but not everything in the startup lineup. The only thing left to take out is Carbon Copy Cloner which I paused, typeIt4Me, no I quit that one too. I had to take a break and at Starbucks now, but I have TeamViewer but I took that out too so I can’t see what is left from here. Took out StatMenus, but what is left? What about extensions in Safari, even though Safari is not open? Things like ad blockers? I still have login items G-technology and western digital which are necessary to mount their respective hard drives, so I can take those out as use for Time Machine. LaCie thunderbolt Drive for LogicPro files, all except the application - on the 256 SSD. I use symbolic links for Application Support - logic, garage band, audio, and A few others. I noticed some used area shoes but symbolic links are much better and you never lose the connection as with aliases they are easily lost if you change anything. I can’t reformat my start of the drive in star from a back up and the symbolic links still work. I feel like my logic pro hard drive and all the files, what I’ve done to the template is sort of a mess. Like things absolutely organized in their proper place, and nothing on the desktop. I deleted logic Pro and reinstalled it, reinstalled Big Sur. All this left is to take out G-technology and western Digital start up Files; and what about iTunes helper that’s in there as well? I don’t even know what that does or if it’s still needed. I even did a directory rebuild of the boot drive SSD and the LaCie hard drive used for LogicPro, and then deleted them so they would be re-indexed in spotlight. Supposed to fix Shounds not all showing up in library.

Question for you: things have changed since I used the program intensively almost 2 years ago before getting stranded in the Dominican republic most of last year, and surgery before that. Initially a midi instrument track created a channel strip in the mixer that had the same CS options as an audio track, and select an output, but that’s not the case anymore. In fact I don’t see where I can select where the output is selected for these external instruments ? I have three sets of monitors, and three external instruments play one string of my Godin MIDI guitar, 4-6, using MIDI channels 4–6(much fun in media environment setting that up). These are assigned to a bass sound which must go to the Monitor set with the subwoofer. Do you have to create a software instrument and select an output from there? But how do you connect the External MIDI instruments to that virtual instrument track and CS? Any MIDI instrument is going to sound that soft/virtual synth(Is that the proper term these days?)? It doesn’t make any sense. How do you control which external instrument tracks sound any given virtual sound track and channel strip that sounds MIDI notes? When I tested this, anything I played on the Godin MIDI guitar played whatever was selected and sounded on the soft synth. I saw no means a way to control this. Before the external midi instrument you would select what output you wanted, and what patch would be sounded from that external MIDI instrument. Now an external instrument doesn’t do anything except to record notes on a midi track. Please tell me I’m missing something here?