Super Mac Mini

inthemix69

I really hope that the rumours I'm hearing about the new Mac Mini ( dubbed 'The Super' ) are someway close to being accurate.

First up, it looks as if they're addressing the lack of memory options, which was a big factor in keeping me from buying an M1 based system, with a max of only 16GB ram.

As I use a lot of virtual instruments and very large sample libraries in my compositions, the 16GB ceiling was a concern with the M1 units, and I'm pleased to discover that the Mini will have options of up to 64GB of the new type of super efficient ram ( a major drawback of the M1 solved for me, at least ).

The new cpu with 12 cores is set to add even more impressive performance to what was already exceptional with the M1 and this, again, will only help my cpu heavy workflow.

The added ports will also be a help, but I do tend to run hubs off of each port anyways, drastically increasing the number of inputs available to me, so I don't see this as being hugely different from what I do already.

The only thing that matters to me now, is when will this beautiful little beast actually appear ?

best to wait, and see what happens; rumors are, as always, rumors. and for all the times rumors have been on-point, we've seen lots of them get things completely wrong. anyway, we'll know soon...

This month apparently.

Or next month. Or the spring. But most likely this year some point.

I've been *desperately* waiting for the M1X MBPs, which are no doubt coming soon.

However, in the last few months I think I'm angling to getting an M1X Mac Mini instead. Given that I desperately need one, and therefore want them to be introduced at the forthcoming MBP event (being based on the same tech), I expect the likelihood will be that they *don't* get announced and I'll instead have to keep waiting until at least Spring next year.

Here's hoping for the M1X 'Mini's on October 18th...

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
What we hope for and what actually becomes available from Apple are two distinctly different topics. Apple has proven one thing to me, they know how to play the market and make a good fortune. Sadly, I think Apple will not release a powerhouse Mini till the 27" iMac/iMac Pro with updated M1/M2 is released. Seriously, nobody really knows but I would say a base model M2 Mini is much more in line with their marketing strategy, boring but this is what I expect. Maybe it will be a 12 core cpu chip? That also would not surprise me at this point.