Smart Control External Assignments not working

Patcherson

Hi everyone,

I just purchased an Arturia Keylab mkII, and I'm having trouble setting up Smart Control External Assignments. When I click Learn, I move a knob or fader on my controller. The knob or fader is recognized, but the selected parameter isn't moving with the knob on my controller.

Thanks for your help.

The knob or fader is recognized, but the selected parameter isn't moving with the knob on my controller.

What do you mean exactly by recognized? What happens exactly? Do you see the MIDI data being populated in the External Assignent area of the Smart Control inspector? Or does it continue saying "No message received yet" like below?

314662273_ExternalAssignment.png.d0eec583babb9fbda8c59cd52cba04a6.png

The knob or fader is recognized, but the selected parameter isn't moving with the knob on my controller.

What do you mean exactly by recognized? What happens exactly? Do you see the MIDI data being populated in the External Assignent area of the Smart Control inspector? Or does it continue saying "No message received yet" like below?

External Assignment.png

Yes, I see the MIDI data being populated in the External Assignment area of the Smart Control inspector. That’s what I meant by “recognized.”

OK so you have two different assignments on that Smart Control. Apparently the first one (Control Change) is one that you've learned while the other one (Mackie Control) is a control surface setup. Do you have any MIDI device connected other than the Arturia or is the Arturia set up as a Mackie Control (MCU protocol)? You can check that under Logic Pro > Control Surfaces > Setup.

I would suggest you choose one or the other (either setup a control surface protocol such as MCU, or manually learn the knobs you want), but not both at the same time.

OK so you have two different assignments on that Smart Control. Apparently the first one (Control Change) is one that you've learned while the other one (Mackie Control) is a control surface setup. Do you have any MIDI device connected other than the Arturia or is the Arturia set up as a Mackie Control (MCU protocol)? You can check that under Logic Pro > Control Surfaces > Setup.

I would suggest you choose one or the other (either setup a control surface protocol such as MCU, or manually learn the knobs you want), but not both at the same time.

I have the Arturia set up as MCU. If I can figure out how to use the mackie controls to control the parameter I would. Thanks for your help

Ok, so I figured out how to remove the mackie assignments but it's still not working.

How did you remove the Mackie assignments? What does the Smart Control inspector now show? If all else fails and you don't mind returning to a blank slate, you could always trash your control surface preferences...

I went into the controller assignments window, selected the lines that are related to both mackie control and smart controls, and pressed the delete key. Here's what it looks like:320594153_LogicHelp2.png.766159b0ba2326c886d4a1922a69a20d.png

Are you trying to use the Arturia both as a MCU and for manual assignment at the same time? If you're not then I would recommend your completely remove all MCU assignments: go to Logic Pro > Control Surfaces > Setup and select the device there, and press delete on your keyboard.

I deleted the Arturia MCU but the problem persists.

Ok then try this:

1. Quit Logic.

2. In the Finder, hold down the option key while you click the "Go" menu at the top of your screen and choose Go > Library.

3. Inside the Library folder, open the Preferences folder.

4. Find and trash com.apple.logic.pro.cs

5. Restart your Mac.

6. Reopen Logic and check that Logic Pro > Control Surfaces > Controller Assignments is completely empty.

Now try to make your assignment again.

Ok then try this:

1. Quit Logic.

2. In the Finder, hold down the option key while you click the "Go" menu at the top of your screen and choose Go > Library.

3. Inside the Library folder, open the Preferences folder.

4. Find and trash com.apple.logic.pro.cs

5. Restart your Mac.

6. Reopen Logic and check that Logic Pro > Control Surfaces > Controller Assignments is completely empty.

Now try to make your assignment again.

Still doesn't work.