Selecting in library sounds LogicPro Quits Instantly

Zephar77

Late–2014 iMac 27” 256 SSD

LogicPro 10.6.3

••••••••••••••••••••

Select to open sound library on the far left column, then selecting the root instrument reveals whatever patches are available. Clicking on one of these and LogicPro Immediately quits without a message or error, nor a crash report.

Reinstalled LogicPro

Reinstall Big Sur

Removed Apogee Quartet audio interface and selected default iMac input/output for audio

Removed all system startup items, and Non Apple apps

••••••••••••••••••••

Re-created from scratch a new project template with four MIDI external instruments, and four software instruments, three audio tracks for stereo Mic’s and the acoustic pickup on Godin MIDI guitar, which has 2 audio pickups as well as the 13 PIN.

••••••••••••••••••••

Any advice would be most welcome.

Seth

Some other things to try:

- Trash your preferences

- Try in a new, temporary user account

- Delete/move the old content, and redownload fresh content

- Save a user-created patch for something simple, and see if that one you made loads without crashing

Try and see if there are any particular content types causing the crash - is it particular plugins, particular plugin presets, impulse files, patches or channel strip settings, sampler instruments - lots of different context-dependent types are displayed in the browser window, so if you can narrow down if it only happens with certain items of content, that might help target the issue.

If Logic is crashing, there absolutely should be a crash log, even if you're not presented with one at the time of the crash - check CrashReporter or the Console, but quite possibly it won't reveal much if Logic is hard crashing on something internally...

So far I tried a number of different patches for different instruments, and they all instantly cause logic pro to quit. I think you must be right that there’s something wrong with the connections and the content. I click on the patch and it’s not found or some thing is not linked correctly, and the program quits for some reason, instead of giving me a dialogue box back saying to look for it or something.

OK, can you tell me which preference files to delete, as there’s a number of them.

When you say content, I can delete all of it, and just start over again. I have a quick connection and an SSD and it doesn’t take that long.

Which content should I remove so I get all of it?

There are so many different folders in different places, and they have different connections in folders.

So, if you could kindly list which preference files to delete and what to expect.

And which content folders to remove. might as well remove the content I have, and start over. But which folders should I delete?

There are two preference files, in your preferences folder:

/Users/*you*/Library/Preferences/

com.apple.logic10.plist (Logic preferences)

com.apple.logic.pro.cs (Logic Control Surface Preferences)

As for what content to remove, start with some small self-contained content that you know crashes Logic when loading, and just trash that piece and reload it. Then you can quickly verify whether it made a difference. If you still get crashes, then it's probably pointless to trash and redownload *all* the content. It's all about testing and verify whether something makes a different to point you toward a solution.

Don't forget that I also suggested to try in a new user account before the trashing content step, that's an important one to try.

It depends where the content is, but if Logic in the new user account doesn't see your previously installed content, Logic will download the default core content it requires to work (about 1GB) and you don't have to download anything else - enough to test with, and downloading 1GB or so shouldn't be a problem...

Most likely the content is installed on your system drive, and so Logic will see it regardless of which user account you start from.

I went ahead and reinstalled everything, as I had started it before I got your message. I could’ve stopped it, but then feared that might mess everything up, again, or worse. I noticed that the screenshots I took of the logic folder, audio folder, garage band folder are changing sizes quite a bit. So I suspect somethings was not quite right. But it’s still installing or restoring sound library. It’s almost finished.

Well, at first when selecting a sound, got a dialog box stating settings have been changed, and the options, Save As or Continue. Continue caused immediate quit. Save As created a custom instr to name and store somewhere, but defaults to Documents. Now, LogicPro quits on every patch in Sound Library. Thought making progress, but no change now.

Any recommendations on what settings I should select. Guess I could put the preference files back, as that was not the problem.

I have the sound files moved to another thunderbolt LaCie Ext HD, and system/apps are on the 256 SSD. There is enough room to placed all Library Sounds on the SSD, and have about 30GB space left. Is there something changed that moving sound library might cause the problem? I selected this to the LaCie Ext HD to be the Move to Location, and states that is the designated drive.

Seth

65659912_ScreenShot2021-10-12at8_36_00PM.thumb.jpg.632471f9fd4cbe704f1068b6b14a0be2.jpg

180987610_ScreenShot2021-10-12at8_41_36PM.thumb.jpg.c2179ab15ec3be681c3a2c7f574be6bb.jpg

465841925_ScreenShot2021-10-12at8_44_26PM.thumb.jpg.c218da905866f47e9657f87b5617b1b2.jpg

1918403101_ScreenShot2021-10-12at8_44_52PM.thumb.jpg.8882bebe62ff07c6d40a7732c531a214.jpg

1429091277_ScreenShot2021-10-12at8_50_04PM.thumb.jpg.34ed05c91f090b85043f9da653ec9a70.jpg

8004788_ScreenShot2021-10-12at8_50_27PM.thumb.jpg.ba51f55b4d2a4121b901ab20d0267390.jpg

1788099621_ScreenShot2021-10-12at8_50_36PM.thumb.jpg.9b2ccd0f82cefce2be9183b47c5bbd70.jpg

Can also select anything from Garage Band Sounds, and Legacy Sounds and LogicPro works fine, does not quit. Still leaves majority of Sound Library a problem though.

I read that should DL Essential Content First. Then move Content. Then DL Additional Sound Library.

Perhaps delete all Content, start over and use this order, or just keep Sound Library in the default location on my SSD where LogicPro places it. Must work then, yes?. I do have room with 118 free now; and, would leave around 50GB free on SSD. What thinks thee to fix this problem? Did try a new user account, and, works fine for a variety of sounds to convince; but, what does that tell us? Does that point to a fix? Seth

So it works in a new user account? This sounds most likely a permissions problem then.

Again, limiting this to a small subset of content to check and verify, check the permissions on that content, and check your user account has permissions to access that data. If not, fix the permissions and then see whether it can load. If so, you can then batch apply that permissions fix to the rest of the content.

Your experience is not a typical one - I don't remember (offhand at least) seeing anyone with this issue in many years and multiple audio forums online.

The bottom line is that we are all running software on our computers, and we could have all kinds of weird configs going on, often without realising. And sometime user accounts just get screwy and you get weird issues that only happen in your main account, but work fine on new accounts without all the years of cruft and corruptions etc - in these cases, it's sometimes easier just to move to a new user account, than try to get to the bottom of, and fix, some weird underlying corruption issue.

So yes, this kind of thing is annoying, and isn't very typical, but hopefully we can get to the bottom of it and sort it out one way or another...

Des, In retrospect your summary is most eloquently stated. Thank you for your time and patience Sir. This has become quite the adventure, to find what is the problem. I’m surprised LogicPro doesn’t bring up a window to say what stop the process from proceeding to completion, or even a fix for the problem, instead of just quitting. An alert of what needs to be fixed or what is causing to prevent fulfilling the expected results, would be most helpful, and many times that’s what takes place. Most times you get some kind of feedback, but when you get nothing except finding yourself in the finder… feeling of dread or déjà vu of what might be an adventure, gives one pause. Usually can figure out what’s going on and correct. Yes, this has been a tough one. Best, Seth

Again, limiting this to a small subset of content to check and verify, check the permissions on that content, and check your user account has permissions to access that data. If not, fix the permissions and then see whether it can load. If so, you can then batch apply that permissions fix to the rest of the content.

Des, Could you direct me where I might correct the permissions on the data, as my search results have not provided the steps that fit this situation, thus far.

Should I select the library folder or just the logic, GarageBand, and audio folders separately to change permissions? If I move the LogicPro projects folder from the external hard drive to my boot drive is that going to mess up the links to the sound libraries? I moved the sound library to my boot drive as I had 160 GB free after deleting a few Time Machine snapshots taking up a lot of space. Used the Terminal command using the 15 nine’s and 4…. (tmutil thinlocalsnapshots / 999999999999999 4), went from 31.7 GB free to 167.8 GB!

Pick a patch that doesn't load in Logic. Find that patch in the finder, and inspect it's permissions (select it, and do a Get-Info (command + I) on that file). The permissions are displayed at the foot of the get info window. You can do a screen grab if you're not sure, but ultimately, you'll be wanting to check that the system, and your user account, has read/write permissions.

If it doesn't, change the permissions/add your user account, then try to load that content in Logic, and let me know if there's any change in behaviour.

You keep saying you continue to move content around, so we're facing a changing situation - where is your content now? Back on your system drive, in the default location Logic wants it to be?

Des, David!

Now able to select sounds, instruments and patches from sound library and they load to their selected tracks or CS’s. All I did was select my boot drive and the LaCie thunderbolt hard drive for logic projects, And now the sound library works, loads, no more instant quits. I was almost going to go method of restart with command – R by a process to correct permissions, as I had done this before in finder get info, with no results. However, this time after deleting the sound library library from the LaCie hard drive, reinstall selected sounds, not everything, to my boot drive, this did not correct the problem. But when I selected ”apply to enclosed items…” For the LaCie, this time it took about a minute or so, instead of like two seconds previously. So, something was going on to fix whatever was wrong. However, I’m not sure what it was, as it said I had read/write permissions for my account name, read only for wheel and everybody, before doing this.

Now to test my LogicPro Template and see if my channel splitter setup in MIDI environment will function correctly, and play those selected sounds from my Godin MIDI guitar!

Wish me luck. Best, Seth

"Apply to enclosed" applies permissions changes to the current item, but also goes recursively into all items and folders within that selected item and applies the permissions changes to all those many thousands of files.

You were jumping the gun here in terms of my trying to help, because if the simple test I had proposed had fixed the behaviour, then we would know what the issue was, and the next step would be apply that permissions fix to all the items.

But it seems you go there in the end anyway, so it's all good.

Yes, your summary is accurate. It takes a while to get messages back-and-forth, meanwhile I’m trying to fix the problem, as it’s been driving me nutz! With your Help and others, that eventually to a fix, and selecting from Sound manager instruments only sounds that I actually use, instead of selecting everything helped.