SCORE: Triplet and/or 12/8 notation problems

DanRad

I'm trying to notate a piece in either 12/8 or 4/4 with a lot of triplets. I can get the triplets in either time signature (the 12/8 version doesn't have the brackets). But other combinations such at quarter and eighths or quarter rest and eighth elude me. I was able to create measure #1 beat 1 quarter-eights below by using the "Allow double values." But I had to do it manually. Is there a way to have it "default" to that notation as opposed to just two eighths? (as in measure #2 beat 1)

121971563_ScreenShot2021-10-12at10_35_09AM.thumb.png.400bd84dbb6a89ff42b7fb7ab360d6cb.png

Thanks for the response. I've decided to go in 4/4 and use triplets. But I have to jerk around to get things like quarter/eighth grouping using the "double values" in the triplet window or even nudging by ticks to get it to look right. In "swing" pieces, I can force the notation into 1/8th but I'm using 8/12 to get both triplets and eighths. But I can't get it to look right on input and spend way too much time trying to get it to do things like a quarter eighth triplet or two eighth rests and a eighth note triplet... any help is appreciated. (this is an afro-cuban 12/8 feel but playing in 4/4)

Thanks for your help. I can get triplets to show w/o futzing around.. .but as you can see, even though the 1/8th notes fall on the 3 triplet, they read as 1/8th notes.

1303794224_ScreenShot2021-10-13at7_12_12PM.thumb.png.aa8258b84d1b0a43ef239185f5935679.png

I can drag in a triplet bracket for certain figures and get 1/4&1/8th under a triplet bracket (see below)...but it's time consuming and I can't seem to get a quarter rest/1/8th note triplet at all... Here I've taken measure #4 and been able to make a 1/4-1/8th triplet but on beat 3, I want a 1/4 rest and an eighth.. but can't get it.

1487558739_ScreenShot2021-10-13at7_17_37PM.png.8c92bc3e98a33ed73eb46602608de1ff.png

I'm wondering if there's a way to "default" the interpretation to show ALL divisions in a triplet bracketed quarter note, hopefully with out doing all this manual editing.

Thanks

I just noticed you posted a response while I was replying to this. I will read after this post and update if necessary.

The specific question I think you had asked was can the logic score in real-time the triplets as a quarter/eighth? The answer is yes. David was right in that your display quantize needs to be 4,12 to do this and the time signature is irrelevant (works for both 4/4 and 12/8). The key is you need to play in correctly timed triplets ( in the case a quarter note / eighth note triplet example) - I was able to do this manual most times, but was off for a few - so to prove this to you with 100% certainty - I created a track with perfectly timed triplets, and output that to the IAC bus where it was then recorded onto a new track in real-time. You will see that the score reflects automatic identification of triplets based on this, demontrating YES it an be done. ( with the correct display quantization, and correctly played/timed triplets).

The default display quantize setting for a new track ( prior to recording ) is always the grid setting ( with the middle triplet value). so /4 is 4,6 : /8 is 8,24 etc...

Edit: and in your most recent question - move the middle note in the triplet to the right (creating 1/8 rest, 1/8 rest, eighth note) then drag a quarter rest from the part box onto the first 1/8 rest.

1359245194_Tripletsinreal-time2.thumb.gif.5d742d667f7196815d9fd169a29bac27.gif

Edit: and here is the image for changing what you have in your pic to what you describe you need. A rest followed by an eight note....

612257502_TripletsforDan.thumb.gif.125b0ff1413f6ac381acc2af7ecd93b4.gif