MacBook Pro M1 Pro , M1 Max

Logic Pro 10.7 - no cost update as soon as it shows up.

Now is the time to compress a copy of Logic Pro 10.6.3, and to make a project with "Ocean Eyes" saved in a likely spot. There will be a new demo project.

The free trial package still contains Logic Pro 10.6.3 as well.

Those new M1 chips are insane (this coming from a former member of both AMD and Intel chip design teams). The writing is now formally on the wall: Video is everything.

What really bugs me is that after forcing MacBook users to deal with buying hubs and docks they actually brought back MagSafe, the SD card slot and HDMI. Only three TB4 ports? Plenty for me now that I'm not wasting a port for the power supply.

"Console EQ"..?

I believe this is just the Neve Style "Vintage Console EQ" that's been around for a few years.

Ah yes, I did look at that but as it was called "Vintage Console EQ" I thought it might have been different, but it does indeed display like that when loaded... (I never use those)

I have been waiting for a "proper" new iMac for over 4 years now but I still don't see one coming... and all this time spend on my 13" MacBook Air makes me realize how I like the small form factor, how I don't truly need a hugeigantic monitor display after all, and how I enjoy having the bottom of the screen at desk level rather than propped up like on an iMac, which my neck doesn't seem to agree with. So hmmm... why not.

Still would have loved to see a proper new iMac come, something a little more sleek than the last M1 iMac which I really wasn't a fan of.

David wait for YouTube speed test I don’t know if 16 ram is enough

Thanks, and you're right, I will wait. I'm in no hurry and don't want to be the first to beta test the new machine. However with the new handling of RAM I believe that we will see better performance even with less RAM. Also I don't use large sample libraries like film composers do so I don't need huge amounts of RAM to load samples.

I believe I could be tempted by the 16" M1 Pro 1TB with 16GB memory for $2,699. That would most likely be my pick.

M1 Pro.png

David wait for YouTube speed test I don’t know if 16 ram is enough

i run my 2019 intel imac with 16gb ram, and have never had any memory issues (with either logic or final cut); and ram is managed much differently on the silicon chips. seems it should be enough for most things (maybe not editing 8K video tho...)

I believe I could be tempted by the 16" M1 Pro 1TB with 16GB memory for $2,699. That would most likely be my pick.

That's what I'm eyeing (£2599 in the UK) but need to weigh up the future proofing of 32GB RAM over 16GB versus the extra £400 it costs...

i would think that, if your work is heavily dependent on sample-based libraries, more is still more. but for people like me (occasional string libraries or some loops), 16 should be great; i mean, i have 16gb ram on my intel mac now, and never have any memory issues, and the silicon macs have a much-better ram management system...)

Would've liked a Mini Max with a 2TB and 64 unified ram, same I/O.

No doubt it’s coming. Maybe in the spring. We got to the point where hardware is ridiculously powerful. No obstacles to make music for sure. Even with power hungry plugins. What software features can they possibly come up with to cripple these machines?

One more thought: if they put the recently announced fastest chip in the Mac Mini it could become the new Mac Pro :)

With this new chip architecture we can forget about modular built computers anyway…. Which is a good thing, especially if they price out the Mac mini with the new chip fairly low. You just buy a new one every five years that’s it.

One more thought: if they put the recently announced fastest chip in the Mac Mini it could become the new Mac Pro :)

With this new chip architecture we can forget about modular built computers anyway…. Which is a good thing, especially if they price out the Mac mini with the new chip fairly low. You just buy a new one every five years that’s it.

i doubt apple will abandon the 'pro' line; i expect they'll take all the best ingredients in the new macbooks and amp things up. nothing i need (but looking forward to next years imacs and minis)...

I was hoping for fanless new MacBooks.

apparently these "fans" are very quiet and only pinup in extreme conditions.

Looking forward to hearing some user experiences.

they're important, if you're doing 'intensive' work for extended periods of time, or complex actions are being performed; like on my imac: i only hear the fans when very-involved mixes are bounced out (ie lots of tracks, automation, plugins...)