Humanize Playback

Thorny

I started playing around with writing music in Logic, then I moved to composing in Finale when I got more serious. I used the humanize playback function and was pretty happy with the sound at first. I increasingly became unhappy with the instrument sounds and bought VSL solo instruments. That made me frustrated with what I could do with articulations in Finale, so I made the leap back to Logic.

In all this, I realized how much Finale was doing with CC controller data when I moved the scores to Logic. I have spent the last year learning how to use score editor and automation. I also moved to using Audio Modeling Swam solo instruments, so the possibilities with CC editing expanded exponentially, it seems. The instruments can sound great but need a lot of work to do so.

All this intro was to ask if there is any kind of plug-in software that can provide the equivalent of what the Humanize Playback did in Finale? I write midi in Score Editor and use automation and editing in the Piano Roll editor as my workflow. Finale was pretty good at adding expression to what I was writing as I was writing it. Is there anything to be bought that could add at least some of that functionality in Logic? I don't want a turnkey solution, just something that provides a first pass that I can edit at will. Something that combined functionality of Humanize in logic with a first pass at expression curves, all on the fly would be dandy.

I expect that the answer is that I am asking for too much, but I thought I would ask!

I thought that the humanize function in Logic only operated on the length, positon and velocity of notes. What I saw Finale doing was much more than that. It drew CC curves for me. I didn’t really even know what CC curves were until I imported a Finale file into logic and couldn’t control the volume because it was following a curve that was already in there. Then I found that their were several other curves already there, too.