Score Lyrics - how to notate word held out over phrase, slur, or multiple notes

tootone
Go to solution Solved by volovicg,

I tried searching first, but to no avail - please direct me to the answer if it already exists. Found these related, but unhelpful threads:

https://www.logicprohelp.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=126162&p=644050&hilit=hold+lyric#p644050

https://www.logicprohelp.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=112046&p=580618&hilit=hold+lyric#p580618

I'm trying to achieve this with the word "ah______________" - inserting a line similar to underscore indicating to hold the lyric out over multiple notes, a slur, or an entire phrase:

1535455676_ScreenShot2021-10-16at5_16_06PM.png.1dfc8db1d301ff312bb9699f4baec66d.png

But this is what I'm getting (attempted with actual underscores):

474169435_ScreenShot2021-10-16at5_18_24PM.png.86ca8f899788626da9f246df737a1fa5.png

Is there a lyric "word" or "character" or function that can do this (having the benfit of following the other lyrics with vertical position, font style and size, note position relationship, etc.), or do I have to manually enter an actual horizontal line at that location?

Anyone know how to do this? Or direct me to the appropriate thread if it's already been answered.

EDIT: Related to first question: How to place hyphens between syllables instead of with the first or second syllable?

Example of what I want:

220073420_ScreenShot2021-10-16at5_36_02PM.png.1535e01682d6d9327a0c1ac275e6cada.png

What I'm getting from Logic:

1897968337_ScreenShot2021-10-16at5_36_30PM.png.465819ea55c054eed3468459e0368198.png

It seems more professional, or at least more common, for the hyphen to be centered between the syllables regardless of how many notes pass while the word is sung. So the hyphen is not attached to any note, but centered between the previous and following syllable which are attached to notes.

EDIT2: Found this workaround - consisting of adding temporary notes between syllables, attaching hyphens to them, then deleting the temporary notes. Not very ideal and seems time consuming. (Credit to ski for the article)

https://www.macprovideo.com/article/logic-pro/logic-tutorial-lyric-entry-logic-pros-score-editor

• Solution

My thoughts and maybe a few new things for you.

I did your example in logic ( see image below).

Lyrics extender lines and hyphens are not intuitive. some thoughts.....

When using automatic lyric entry and a hyphen (or any lyric item for that matters) that falls on a tied note ( other than the first note) - entering tab will take you to the next beat following all tied notes. If you want to have automatic lyric entry add lyrics to one of the adjacent tied notes - press shift+tab instead of tab to cycle through the tied notes. If one of those requires a hyphen - just add it like a normal single character lyric item and shift tab or tab to proceed on without ever having to exit lyric entry.

When entering lyrics and you come across a hyphen where there isn't note above to anchor too, just skip it. When done entering the all the lyrics go back and using the lyric tool insert a hyphen at the closest anchor point in that measure. Once it is inserted, select it and then using the pointer tool you can move it to anchor to additional beats that were not available on initial entry (so there is no need to add any additional notes to create temporary anchor). In addition you can also hold the option key layout tool to move the lyric placement without affecting the anchor point if you wish.

Using this technique allows for formatting or other score/measure formatting without affecting the lyrics or hyphens.

The trick again is on initial placement - anchor it anywhere close, then anchor it to the correct beat after it is placed.

Lyrics extender lines - I use the horizontal line to add the lyric extension. Allowing the anchoring of the initial and final points of the extension line to be where you want it. That in my opinion is the best approach - but I have used continuous underscores as well when I am lazy.

In all cases above - after the horizontal positioning is correct - you can select all lyric objects as well as any extension lines and then use the align vertical key command to make them all line up on the same horizontal line ( remember intuitively vertical would mean horizontal for most users) - Logic uses the terminology vertical to mean in reference to the vertical axis - which intuitively means along the same horizontal line.

Summary:

The dash between Jolly is an example of automatic lyric entry using Shift+Tab when I got to the beat before it.

The dash in between Voi - ces is an example of inserting a hyphen as a lyric object too the closest anchor point, then moving it to the correct anchor point.

This keeps it perfectly centered between other adjacent lyric objects.

The extension lines are just horizontal graphic objects.

Hope some of this helps !

1079398638_ScreenShot2021-10-17at12_12_53PM.thumb.png.b58ab54bb7827303b7efb50f53b088ae.png

Great Tips all! That extends what I know how to do to achieve the final result in a very satisfactory way. I could envision a feature request for 2 score settings for lyrics:

☐ Double hyphen converts to single centered hyphen

You could type sing--[TAB]ing, and it would convert to sing - ing or sing - ing, for example, where the hyphen is spaced out and centered between the syllables as needed depending on the space between notes.

☐ Double underscore converts to lyric extender line

So that ah__[TAB] would convert to ah___________________ and the length of the extender line could auto adjust to the end of the tie or even the end of a preexisting slur, then be adjusted manually as needed.

Anyway, we can dream, right? Where is the feature suggestion location? Perhaps I'll suggest these as features.