Environments?

grumblepig

Hi all - I've been using Logic daily since 2020, at least, but have mostly settled into using it the way I know how to use it, if that makes sense. Once in a while I stumble upon something I've zero idea about... the other day I hit a "wrong" button and opened up the Environments panel. First of all, what is Environments and second, how did I open it?

Screen shot attached...

Thanks!

367524197_ScreenShot2021-10-15at10_47_44PM.thumb.png.6bc511aa46eb02b8f2fbfc84d6d80424.png

You opened it by pressing Command-0.

Quick answer: The Environment is your virtual studio in Logic Pro, it allows you to route and process MIDI data, and organize your audio objects. It also allows you to perform all sorts of manipulations within Logic, some of which can be found in our "Environment" forum right here: Logic Pro & MainStage Templates and Environments

Not forgetting there is a manual that explains these functions in Logic, in quite an accessible way. You don't have to go in deep, but a quick read of the intro chapters will tell you what it is, and give you an idea whether it's a set of features you might find interesting or not:-

https://support.apple.com/en-ca/guide/logicpro/lgcpf755dc51/mac

David and des99 - thanks for the replies. I'm a "sometimes the manual" kinda fellow, but I do enjoy the human touch of the Logic group here.

des99 - are you directly involved with the mu:zines biz? I'm waiting to see the issue of One Two Testing with a review of my teenage cassette pop up!! I loved that mag back in the day and was thrilled to get my first "foreign" press there!

des99 - are you directly involved with the mu:zines biz?

Yes, it's my site/project. 8-)

I'm waiting to see the issue of One Two Testing with a review of my teenage cassette pop up!! I loved that mag back in the day and was thrilled to get my first "foreign" press there!

Heh, yes, everyone has their own pet content they'd like to see and many of them are very keen to impatiently tell me what they are waiting on... I'd love to be able to do these things quickly but it's very time intensive and there's only me to do the work - I don't get enough financial support to make much of a difference in terms to moving through the work, so it's just a step by step thing I drag slowly forward every day...

Well, I won't keenly fling any impatience at you, but it's great to "meet" the maker, in this case! I still have a handful of One Two Testing issues at my dad's house. It was an import mag available at Tower Records, so a bit pricey but always worth it. I don't remember which issue had the review of my tape, but one of the songs that got attention is amongst a handful I've recently reworked in Logic for an upcoming release. Makes it sound like I'm stuck in 1985, but songs are songs and time flies when one's full-circle is having fun!

Heh, thanks! Hi!

If you can give me a headsup on what I'm looking for, what the artist/band name is etc and I can see if I can dig out which issue that content was in (which will give you an idea of where in the queue it is and therefore how imminent the issue is).

Note - I don't generally OCR and republish content like readers demo tapes, as the content is not so historically important (sorry!) but the scans are all available of course...

(Nothing wrong with being stuck in 1985, BTW, it was my most musically formative year by far!)

"My" issue was somewhere between July 85-86, based on familiarity with the covers. I mean, I can always dig it up at my dad's house and scan it for whatever purpose. Mostly, it's fun seeing that particular mag up online again.

And while I'd say again I'm not quite "stuck" in any year or other, I've been having a great time revisiting the synth-rich wonderland that was the 1980s, to the point of reworking many of my ancient teenage tunes. As I still/again have much of the same gear I used in those basement days, I assumed it'd be easy to replicate my humble 4-track recordings using Logic. But limitation, it seems, was the mother of much inventiveness. For the life of me, there were loads of things I did back then that I can figure. I'm looking up the specs on rotten old Korg drum machines, trying to suss out how I'd triggered this or that. I managed a lot of sounds on a tiny number of tracks, and while, in the end, my new Logic-recorded versions are album-worthy, it was quite challenging to reach for the OG vibe. I was trying to go note-for-note, matching all the sounds best I could, but I couldn't help want to update a thing or two. Anyway, a side-effect of this rabbit-holing is that my music collection got puffed up with the repurchase of some many back-when favs... Ultravox, OMD, The The, DEVO etc.

"My" issue was somewhere between July 85-86, based on familiarity with the covers.

"Big Band Theory" is Jan 86...

And while I'd say again I'm not quite "stuck" in any year or other, I've been having a great time revisiting the synth-rich wonderland that was the 1980s, to the point of reworking many of my ancient teenage tunes.

Yep, I'm doing some similar things too - it's fun!

Ha - thanks for finding it! Like I said, my collection of One Two Testing mags lives at my dad's, and I'll likely scan that review myself and charge my Patreon supporters billions for the chance to gaze upon it!

Are you familiar with the Bedroom Cassette Masters series? Musta been thousands of us working in isolation, cranking out bedroom/basement synth music on 4-tracks.

https://bedroomcassettemasters.bandcamp.com/

I've got a Tascam Model 12 on order, my way of getting (somewhat) off the screen and back into the basement. Should be fun!