Audio MIDI setup Preferences location

Zephar77

Lost the “MIDI Setup” created sometime ago in the Audio MIDI Setup App.

LogicPro on iMac macOS Big Sur 11.6. (com.apple.audio.AudioMIDISetup.plist from the time machine backup did not re-create set up)

Can someone please direct me where the preference files are located, as the library preference file I recovered from Time Machine and it doesn’t re-create my somewhat complex set up. There must be some other files that save what you create in the MIDI window Using a Godin MIDI guitar and Rolland GI-20 MIDI Interface with LogicPro Apogee Quartet.

And I’m wondering if this is necessary if you’ve created connections in LogicPro’s MIDI Environment under MIDI Instruments?

Best, Seth

I was using ProTools initially, and I think Audio MIDI Setup actually was helpful for routing, but it’s been a long while when I set that up, 2012. So my suspicions are correct, Audio MIDI Setup IS just a display, and it is not needed at all for LogicPro? The MIDI routing is done in MIDI environment, yes?

Well, again it depends what you are trying to do. You don't have to use the Environment to route MIDI, as this is a basic function of the track area to rechannel incoming MIDI to the instrument/s on the selected track/s.

But yes, you don't need to do anything in AMS to route MIDI around between Logic and your other hardware.

Des99, “ Were you actually doing some kind of routing or setup in AMS? What were you doing?”

•••••••••••••••••••• ••••••••••••••••••••

Yes, Godin MIDI guitar, Which has 2 audio pick ups, and a 13 pin MIDI pickup, which is connected to a Rolland GI-20 MIDI Interface, then to my iMac which connects to Apogee Quartet set up for 5.1. Godin MIDI guitar to perform live for inspiration before recording, I set the three lower strings each having a separate MIDI channel, four, five and six. (Corresponding to the guitars for lower strings). Easy to do in ProTools, a nightmare in Logic Pro, at least initially. But folks here assisted me with MIDI Environment which I did not know existed! A fellow here named Doc back in 2012 actually sent me a

LogicPro Template. I’ll see if I have screenshots of my set up(Sitting in a Starbucks). I was out of commission for two years and when I come back to my DAW, the program changed quite a bit, and nothing was working in 10.6. On my 2011 iMac using High Sierra, LogicPro version 10.4 works perfectly fine. Part of the problem was the changing EXS24 sampler, which the three bass notes from my guitar we’re set to Ballard Electric Bass.

Does Audio MIDI Setup actually do anything when using LogicPro?

Do those cables from the Godin icon in Audio MIDI Setup going to the Rolland GI-20 MIDI Interface, then to IAC make any real connections?

I seem to remember that until I made those connections, ProTools was not making a sound, And I could not record.

Now, using LogicPro the Roland connected to the iMac displays the MIDI notes being played at the top, and only need a instrument with a sound selected.

Am I missing anything here?

Seth

C59935C2-9123-4A1F-848F-8F07D061573D.thumb.jpeg.cf3c2fb8791f0d726bb76eb12df996c7.jpeg

One showing Audio MIDI Setup

1BBAB3F6-1730-4B51-B432-D9287D78F4B7.thumb.jpeg.bef9ce8970a87d10c343b0a16c57f25f.jpeg

One MIDI Instruments

53DF7F19-CC6F-431E-9C89-FD35B417FD3B.thumb.jpeg.2181f40c27970e21f350362849c9e31d.jpeg

One picture Click & Port

Well, again it depends what you are trying to do. You don't have to use the Environment to route MIDI, as this is a basic function of the track area to rechannel incoming MIDI to the instrument/s on the selected track/s.

But yes, you don't need to do anything in AMS to route MIDI around between Logic and your other hardware.

•••••••••••••••••••• ••••••••••••••••••••

Really?

So, I can now assign a channel strip to one MIDI Channel, and one string on the guitar only will play on that track/CS?

That was not possible before. Are you sure?

I thought you had to filter out the other channels in MIDI environment so one MIDI instrument would sound on one MIDI channel, so the sixth string on the guitar would only play on channel 6 on a track or CS. ProTools was so easy. Took me about five minutes. When Apple LogicPro for $199 and came with surroundsound, & 2,000 for ProTools to do surround, I switched. I was not liking that iLok thing as well. That’s why you see 4 Guitars and MIDI instruments, 3 for MIDI bass, from strings four, five, and six, only sounding on midi channels four, five, and six. The fourth MIDI instrument plays on six MIDI channels, 1–6, then select a sound from the library to sound on which instrument appropriate for the song. I’m a bit confused…

Seth