Automation points remote control

ravez

Hi, i am controlling articulations via automation points in the automation lane via Scripter.

Right now i have to move the points by mouse to select the articulations i want.

I wonder if Scripter can receive midi remote messages, so i could press a button on a midi controller to write the automation point in the lane which will then trigger my articulations.

Thanks

i use scripter cause i don’t know another way to be able to see the articulations names at a glance. This works like directions in cubase articulation lane, printing the name of the articulation i choose. Logic articulation sets instead work like cubase attributes, but in logic you can’t see what articulation is assigned to what notes without clicking or hovering over every note, so i prefer using this method. What i miss is just a way to set them on the fly with a remote controller rather than choosing them with the mouse. I think Audiogrocery’s X-daw allows that, so i might go with that if i don’t find a free alternative.

and to be more specific...how to use a midi controller to program automation points in an automation lane......OF A PARAMETER WITHIN A PLUGIN.

He may want to use the script editor because he said he wants to "see" the articulation being played, but i don't think that's necessary because you can see it in the VST if you switch it with the window open. this is how i do it.

-click on parameter you want to program (articulation)

-press option + L for learn mode

-touch/fiddle knob you want to assign

-option+ L again to exit learn mode

-set instrument track to latch/write/touch and fiddle the knob you just assigned to change articulations in real time.

This could be finnicky because articulations are more binary without there being an "in between", so another thing you can do is play with the min/max values when you press option + L for that same parameter (or click Logic Pro X > control surfaces> controller assignments

But then again, this is only if you've already set up your control surface to be recognized within logic which is another task.

Thanks SoSpiro, that's a different workflow than what i was looking for.

If i had to use articulation sets i wouldn't control them with a knob or fader, because as you say it would be finnicky.

I was already able to control articulation sets via midi remote pressing buttons on my NanoKontrol Studio, so that i could choose the articulation i want on the fly and also have it record/playback in the midi editor.

That works very well if you want to use articulation sets, but you can only see what articulation is on any given note by selecting the note or at playhead.

And only on the selected track.

What i have set up instead is a "bird's eye" view of my articulations on any given track, without even the need to play or select anything.

That works also on the whole project in the arrangement view in automation mode set to region, having multiple lanes per track showing for example the main articulations on one lane, attack/release on another, vibrato on another etc.

Which with scripter i managed to do, by using automation points that display my articulations in the automation lane.

So my next step would be to be able to record them on the fly (like i would do with articulations sets chosen from my midi controller buttons) directly in the automation lane as automation points, instead of playing a part in and edit the articulations after.

It was more of an experiment really, i might just go the one main articulation per track route and add the rest of the stuff like attack/release/vibrato etc as articulation sets or cc automation.

Still hoping Logic comes up with some updates on the articulations system, but unfortunately 10.7 didn't make any progress in that regard.

Oh well :)

Thanks SoSpiro, that's a different workflow than what i was looking for.

If i had to use articulation sets i wouldn't control them with a knob or fader, because as you say it would be finnicky.

I was already able to control articulation sets via midi remote pressing buttons on my NanoKontrol Studio, so that i could choose the articulation i want on the fly and also have it record/playback in the midi editor.

That works very well if you want to use articulation sets, but you can only see what articulation is on any given note by selecting the note or at playhead.

And only on the selected track.

What i have set up instead is a "bird's eye" view of my articulations on any given track, without even the need to play or select anything.

That works also on the whole project in the arrangement view in automation mode set to region, having multiple lanes per track showing for example the main articulations on one lane, attack/release on another, vibrato on another etc.

Which with scripter i managed to do, by using automation points that display my articulations in the automation lane.

So my next step would be to be able to record them on the fly (like i would do with articulations sets chosen from my midi controller buttons) directly in the automation lane as automation points, instead of playing a part in and edit the articulations after.

It was more of an experiment really, i might just go the one main articulation per track route and add the rest of the stuff like attack/release/vibrato etc as articulation sets or cc automation.

Still hoping Logic comes up with some updates on the articulations system, but unfortunately 10.7 didn't make any progress in that regard.

Oh well :)

i use session horns from NI and their articulation is midi. ie. i'd press E2 right before i play my melody and E2's articulation is set until i press F2 which is another articulation. i don't think I can map each articulation to a knob/fader though. let me know if you find a solution.

As i said, if i had to use articulations i wouldn’t want to map them to a knob or fader. I would use buttons or keys.

And that works fine.

I’m looking for a different workflow using automation points to trigger the articulations, but i’d like to be able to choose them via midi (buttons or keys) instead of of the mouse on the automation points lane.

I don’t think that’s possible though.

As i said, if i had to use articulations i wouldn’t want to map them to a knob or fader. I would use buttons or keys.

And that works fine.

I’m looking for a different workflow using automation points to trigger the articulations, but i’d like to be able to choose them via midi (buttons or keys) instead of of the mouse on the automation points lane.

I don’t think that’s possible though.

sorry if i misunderstood you.

I'm not sure if this is the same thing, but i can effectively assign my midi CC buttons on my maschine mk3 hardware and Komplete Kontrol mk2 keyboard just as i can faders or knobs.

i may have no idea what you're talking about and you do seem deeper into this stuff than i am if you even consider using script editor, though.

I think that what ravez mean is to use automation to control different musical articulation switching so he could see them as such as he triggers them. For such he wants to use region automation. However region automation are in fact MIDI events (such as CC or notes). To remotely trigger MIDI events, pretty much all control surface could do it. It is possible to have several tracks (containing different MIDI regions) all assigned to the same instrument (channelstrip).

Articulation Set behavior is to allow you setup input keyswitches and output keyswitches. During recording, you can play INPUT keyswitches which will determine which articulationID will be encoded into subsequently played midi notes as you record the midi part. The end result at the end of a track record is that you will have regions full of midi notes, each containing an articulationID that was determined based on the input keyswitches you played while recording it in.

During playback, the articulation set will read the articulationID of every note and use that to determine which OUTPUT keyswitches to send.

The OP here has a desire to use a Scripter script for the playback output....this script will use an automation lane to drive a Scripter parameter, which in turn will send out key switches according to that parameter's value. This is an alternative to using the articulation set OUTPUT function. It ignores articulationID and just uses an automation lane instead, which some people may find preferable, in order to see the automation curve of how the articulations are changing.

Now all that being said, the OP wants to know how to record automation points into the automation lane, some better way than manually drawing them in.

My understanding is that the best way is probably to use a smart control. Assign a smart control the Scripter parameter. Also use the external LEARN button to assign some midi CC or other midi control to that parameter. Put the track into automation latch mode or something similar...hit record...then start playing some notes and twisting that CC control....you will find that LogicPro will have record notes into the region as well as automation points for twisting that particular control.

Then its a matter of coming up with a better way then twisting the CC control. you probably want to have some kind of button presses on your midi controller to trigger each articulation type in the automation lane. I am not knowledgable enough about this feature of LogicPro to say anymore then that. It might be as simple as programming the Controller Assignment window in some way that it can take midi NoteOn events like keyswitches to record in LATCH mode into the automation lane. Or it might require you to use build some kind of environment thing that will translate keyswitches into CC values, so that you can press midi keyswitches, they would be recorded as automation via a known CC (thus skipping the invetween values you'd get from twisting a knob)...

or there could be some other solution, but the point is...the question here is how to record automation points to a plugin parameter, using a midi controller.