Track info for external MIDI Device, Which IAC driver bus for Port Selection?

Zephar77

LogicPro using external MIDI device, a Godin MIDI guitar, when creating a track there is The selection of “MIDI Destination”.

I get a drop-down menu with the choices of OFF, IAC driver bus 1, IAC driver bus 2, IAC driver bus 3, Apogee Quartet, Rolland GI-20.

I’m not knowing which of these choices to select in my DAW system, but includes an Apogee Quartet, and a Rolland GI-20.

Under track info you select a port and MIDI channel, Can someone tell me what to select here?

I play my Godin MIDI guitar into a Rolland GI-20 MIDI Interface that connects via USB to my iMac, Big Sur 11.6. LogicPro.

I’ll add a few screenshots and hopefully someone can assist me to complete Mike setup.

Best, Seth

CC08CB01-F1F5-4352-A3BD-B566AFD73A3C.thumb.png.7279c3ae90fb67736b4a7710385903ac.png

8B0D388E-F6B9-4D7E-A99B-0C922F4EB634.thumb.png.69bf846344a17303aefd5d73939f54c2.png

E463D738-137F-4C14-8405-4B8A6489D02A.thumb.png.2c5422555c1d6f70ca9e52b3cff2b1ba.png

That's an external midi track, used for sending midi out from Logic. I don't believe that's what you want to do... From what I've read from your different posts, you want to play a software bass instrument when receiving midi on channel 6 from your Godin ? If so, instead create a software instrument track where you insert your bass instrument, and then set that track to channel 6 in the inspector. Hth..

EDIT You then follow this guide to be able to simultaneously record on multiple tracks with different channels...

https://www.logicprohelp.com/instruments-tracks-midi-channels/

Thank you for that explanation.

So the port setting In the inspector should be set to OFF, and respond to channels 6, another track for channel 5, another track for channel 4, reflecting the fourth, fifth, and sixth guitar strings of the Godin MIDI guitar to respond to Software instrument bass patch. In the past I used EXS24 Ballard acoustic bass. Would not allow me to change the patch as the Instruments Select was frozen. LogicPro changed that to multi sampler, so bass setup patches were all messed up in the transfer. If I clicked on the tracks for those 3 bass tracks, LogicPro quit immediately. By clicking on the corresponding CS, did nothing and the instruments election drop down unresponsive. I had to create a template from scratch to get things to work again. I did the original template back in 2012 and worked perfectly up until the last update of LogicPro. I had to re-learn MIDI environment and created 3 Godin MIDI bass guitar instruments in instrument MIDI environment. Created a 4th for all strings, MIDI chs 1-6, to record, then set to various instrument assignments.

Again, the Port selection in the inspector for those three tracks should be set to OFF, since I am playing software instruments within LogicPro. I no longer have outboard tone generators or keyboards. I wish I could replace the Ensoniq ESQ-1 and E-mu Proteus-1, which I used in my first setup. Nothing sounds as good to me as those 2 units.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Seth

Those directions I do not think will work, as the Godin MIDI guitar has no means to select MIDI channels.

It is one external MIDI instrument that will send on all 16 channels, so must use MIDI environment to deselect chs 1-3 & 7-16. 4-6 bass.

Then create 3 MIDI bass instruments and open the splitter so only one string/one ch responds in LogicPro, 4, 5, or 6.

That is why it was a nightmare to setup 9 years ago.

Will attach what it looked like from 9 years ago. I pray able to do again. Already looking different.

Click & Port set so only chs 1-6 get through. MIDI Instrument pane has the 3 bass chs 4-6, so only one ch/eBass 4, etc…

then the 4th, MIDI Gtr, is for all strings, chs 1-6.

If you know another work around would love to know it, as I dread re-learning MIDI Environment.

And it does not look or work the same, from what I have seen so far.

Seth

0329B454-C384-4773-8646-FAC7535764EC.thumb.jpeg.444204be42a66f77a3f4d360bb807666.jpeg

4859A00F-36E7-4088-965D-41E88A44ED04.thumb.jpeg.80b483e15c9de8394e432a0325a55d57.jpeg