Logic Pro 10.7 Released

David Nahmani

This one from the release notes caught my eye:

The Sound Library can now be relocated to volumes on Box.

The reason it caught my eye is I had always assumed up until now that having the Sound Library content located anywhere other than the default hard drive location was seen as a hack/workaround in the eyes of Apple. This tells me that relocating it to one of the cloud drive providers is not only supported, but Apple actually is expecting that users are doing it.

Does anyone here have their Sound Library content stored somewhere else by default, like iCloud or Dropbox? Does this give any advantages when it comes time to downloading/installing Logic on a new Mac (which I will be doing next week)?

One thing I'm noticing is I get the spinning wheel of doom more often. Not sure if it's 10.7 or a combination of upgrading to Big Sur and 10.7. Sometimes when I "Duplicate Track" it takes ~15 seconds to finish.

make sure your 3rd-party plugins are all up-to-date. other things to try: boot into safe mode, the reboot normally. reset the nvram. reset the smc....

working a lot in 10.7 this week, and, just saying... i really like the GUI changes. seems more... solid, more like a pro app. better definition. took some getting used to, but... there it is. 8-)

I concur. If you don't like the new GUI, you're not a pro.

haha. what? just my POV. if someone's making great music in garageband from 2011, or logic 9... all is well. just saying i like the new look...

On the subject of downloading, but not yet updating to Big Sur, if I click 'Get' in the App Store, will it just download an installer, or actually update my OS?

Thanks and apologies if I shouldn't be asking this here. Wasn't sure where else to ask it.

781031835_Screenshot2021-10-24at19_36_58.thumb.png.3d41de8a84738dbdd3da93cf0c7d4d44.png

On the subject of downloading, but not yet updating to Big Sur, if I click 'Get' in the App Store, will it just download an installer, or actually update my OS?

Thanks and apologies if I shouldn't be asking this here. Wasn't sure where else to ask it.

Screenshot 2021-10-24 at 19.36.58.png

From memory: it downloads the installer, then prompts an alert offering you an opportunity to install, which you can refuse.

Screenshot 2021-10-24 at 19.36.58.png

From memory: it downloads the installer, then prompts an alert offering you an opportunity to install, which you can refuse.

Many thanks David. That's kinda what I thought, but just wanted to double check first :)

I just noticed that since updated to LP 10,7, the Mackie MCU Pro controller doesn't work anymore in Pan mixer mode; although it does in single Pan mode.

The Logic'10.7's docs about controllers covering the new features isn't available yet. The 10.5 and 10.6 are...

I hope it will come out soon and that it will contain further explanation about same.

In the meantime, I'm using my C4 for same, which incidentally works as it used to be even if the scribble has changed to Pan/Surround which proves it communicates with LPX and is "aware" about the new 10.7 panning features.

I suspect that it might be due to the new panning/surround implementation in 10.7...

Anyone experiencing that also?

I have installed Logic 10.7 on the spare disk. I have to admit that the update is broken, the audio files are stuck, no sharp fonts, everything seems to be in a fog. The volume in the mackie control is not working. After 20 years of working on logic, I think about a different program. Why is such a serious company Apple releasing an unfinished update? It seems to me that for the first time in history apple appeared in such an underdeveloped logic.

Same feeling here. Unbelivable… The colors are very bad, in the last 24h I was thinking what other daw should I choose if Logic continues this way… Unbelivable…

I have installed Logic 10.7 on the spare disk. I have to admit that the update is broken, the audio files are stuck, no sharp fonts, everything seems to be in a fog. The volume in the mackie control is not working. After 20 years of working on logic, I think about a different program. Why is such a serious company Apple releasing an unfinished update? It seems to me that for the first time in history apple appeared in such an underdeveloped logic.

you have logic on another drive, & you're booting from the drive... is logic installed on the same drive? what version logic? am experiencing no such problems (altho i don't own a mackie control). your singular experience doesn't speak for anyone (nor mine, of course).

might be worth sorting out what's wrong; nothing is underdeveloped in logic (altho 10.7 has it's bugs). fixing things is usually more rewarding that simply complaining....

I had a similar issue with both pans and sends. I solved it by press-holding the pan button. Then different options appeared on the screen of each rotary encoder. I think I selected the first option (press the rotary encoder like a button). Hope this helps...

Thanx Swampthing for your input! Really appreciated!

I noticed that indeed the Send mode does have the same issue…

The procedure however you describe puts the MCU in single mode (Pn. with a dot), as opposed to the mixer mode (Pn without the dot), which I was referring to in my former post.

In mixer mode each channelstrip has its volume fader and pan knob (etc) assigned to a discrete channelstrip in Logic Pro.

Thus, the mixer mode allows pan adjustment of all and each channelstrip in one layout, IOW each VPot adjust the pan for a different channelstrip.

OTOH , in single mode as you describe (Pn. with a dot), the left most VPot (the only active one in stereo mode) addresses the selected channelstrip (highlighted by the white Select square button).

Consequently in single mode (Pn. with a dot) , to adjust the relative panning of the different tracks, one has to first select the track and then twist the left most VPot, thus limiting the pan adjustment to only one at the time. In short: no more global view of the different channelstrips panning.

• :idea: However after further investigation, I found that it is possible to set a global Pan mixing setup via the Channelstrip mode (Cs. with a dot). Maintaining the Channelstrip button displays on the scribble different options, among which the Pan. That works for stereo image. I didn’t test other panning format yet…
    Cumbersome procedure, but it works.

Thanx again for your reply, which gave me incentive to look further and found a workaround!

you have logic on another drive, & you're booting from the drive... is logic installed on the same drive? what version logic? am experiencing no such problems (altho i don't own a mackie control). your singular experience doesn't speak for anyone (nor mine, of course).

might be worth sorting out what's wrong; nothing is underdeveloped in logic (altho 10.7 has it's bugs). fixing things is usually more rewarding that simply complaining....

You get me wrong, I don't complain and still think that logic is the best daw. It was worth updating for the sounds themselves. I noticed that the problem with the mackie control was in the satry midi card drivers. When I plug in a different interface, everything works fine! I upgraded the Big Sur system to 10.6 and the display problems are also gone.

I had a similar issue with both pans and sends. I solved it by press-holding the pan button. Then different options appeared on the screen of each rotary encoder. I think I selected the first option (press the rotary encoder like a button). Hope this helps...

Thanx Swampthing for your input! Really appreciated!

I noticed that indeed the Send mode does have the same issue…

The procedure however you describe puts the MCU in single mode (Pn. with a dot), as opposed to the mixer mode (Pn without the dot), which I was referring to in my former post.

In mixer mode each channelstrip has its volume fader and pan knob (etc) assigned to a discrete channelstrip in Logic Pro.

Thus, the mixer mode allows pan adjustment of all and each channelstrip in one layout, IOW each VPot adjust the pan for a different channelstrip.

OTOH , in single mode as you describe (Pn. with a dot), the left most VPot (the only active one in stereo mode) addresses the selected channelstrip (highlighted by the white Select square button).

Consequently in single mode (Pn. with a dot) , to adjust the relative panning of the different tracks, one has to first select the track and then twist the left most VPot, thus limiting the pan adjustment to only one at the time. In short: no more global view of the different channelstrips panning.

• :idea: However after further investigation, I found that it is possible to set a global Pan mixing setup via the Channelstrip mode (Cs. with a dot). Maintaining the Channelstrip button displays on the scribble different options, among which the Pan. That works for stereo image. I didn’t test other panning format yet…
    Cumbersome procedure, but it works.

Thanx again for your reply, which gave me incentive to look further and found a workaround!

Yes! That's what worked for me. I might have not explained it well, but followed the same steps you described.

Regards!

I’ve noticed in 10.7 the Quantize value in the Piano Roll does not change when using key commands. I’ll press ‘next’ and ‘previous’ quantize value yet it only displays 1/16ths (unless I manually select a value with the mouse). Quantize itself still works, but I have no clue which value it’s on since the menu isn’t updating. Can anyone else confirm?

Options:

1. Stay on 10.6.3 or previous versions, which are full of bugs.

2. Update to new OS and 10.7, which has all the old bugs plus some new ones, but has more features.

3. Start learning another DAW from scratch

Not exactly a great set of options :x

Options:

2. Update to new OS and 10.7, which has all the old bugs plus some new ones, but has more features.

what? you mean, you can't make music on any of these versions, because there are bugs? all software has bugs, that's why the OSes are in a constant state of updates, and why we get point updates in logic.

i got thru the year on 10.6, and am now working without major issues in 10.7. if there's a bug, i work around it. anyway, if you're expecting perfection... good luck with that.

a bug that apple needs to fix; whenever 10.7.1 happens (sigh)...

oh yeah.

it's so.. annoying. gah

Options:

1. just use Emagic Logic Platinum 5. It basically has none of the current bugs.

2. see 1.

-3.1 Stay on Cubase 10.5 or previous versions, which are full of bugs.

-3.2 Update to new OS and 11, which has all the old bugs plus some new ones, but has more features

-3.3 Start learning another DAW from scratch

--3.3.1 Stay on Ableton 10 or previous versions, which are full of bugs.

--3.3.2 Update to new OS and 11, which has all the old bugs plus some new ones, but has more features

--3.3.3 Start learning another DAW from scratch

---3.3.3.1 Stay on ProTools 2020 or previous versions, which are full of bugs.

you get the picture

Options:

what? you mean, you can't make music on any of these versions, because there are bugs? all software has bugs, that's why the OSes are in a constant state of updates, and why we get point updates in logic.

i got thru the year on 10.6, and am now working without major issues in 10.7. if there's a bug, i work around it. anyway, if you're expecting perfection... good luck with that.

I can, but the process has become very difficult due to the unpredictable behaviour of Logic. Every track I make takes much longer than it did in version 9 due to the amount of time I have to spend looking for and implementing workarounds.

Working around one bug is one thing, but working around a broken DAW is another. I’m not expecting perfection, but I expect that it should be strived for.

The constant addition of new features without fixing bugs that have been around for years, shows that isn’t the case, and quite frankly, I’m sick of it, as are many others.