Daisy chain midi instruments in Logic Pro X

Markb0307

Thank you all for so much in-depth information, it’s pretty overwhelming. I tried to find the answer to this question, but here I am.

I want to send Midi Data from one VST Instrument to another. Wanting the fantastic ARP/SEQ in Arturia Pigments control an alternative VST Instrument, say, Noire! A master and slave scenario.

It took 60 seconds to do this in BitWig, just can’t for the life of me find out how to do it in Logic?

Here’s hoping you gurus have already cracked it! Cheers, Mark

Logic Pro does not support MIDI Out from 3rd party AU instruments, unless they were specifically coded to provide a MIDI Input port to the software, in which case in Logic Pro 10.7 you should be able to select the Arturia as a MIDI In Port in the Track inspector and record it onto a track.

However I just installed Pigments and gave it a try and couldn't find the Arturia as a MIDI In Port. Perhaps you need to install the standalone version to achieve this?

I would ask the tech support but you need to have purchased and registered a product with them so I can't do it. If you want, try to contact them and ask them: https://www.arturia.com/support/askforhelp

Then if you don't mind, when you find the answer, do come back and let us know? It could help other Logic users with the same issue. Thanks!

Thank you so much for your swift reply… shame a novice like myself can point out holes in Logic :(

Yes definitely, the MIDI Out from AU plug-ins has been a long-time request from Logic users. However in most cases the 3rd party plug-in manufacturers provide an alternative solution in the form of a virtual MIDI In port so I would inquire about that with Arturia. Hopefully they'll sort you out.

....not holding my breath, its a shame - back to Omnisphere ARP, which has just had an up grade:

Hello Mark,

Thank you for reaching out.

I'm afraid that this is not possible as Logic Pro X doesn't recognize or let you choose the port in which Pigments sends the MIDI Notes of the Sequencer, This is actually easy to do on other DAWs like Ableton Live, I think the problem here is is the way Logic Pro X handles MIDI ports.

Let me know if there is anything else that I can help you with.

Best Regards,

Andrés - Arturia Support

....not holding my breath, its a shame - back to Omnisphere ARP, which has just had an up grade:

Hello Mark,

Thank you for reaching out.

I'm afraid that this is not possible as Logic Pro X doesn't recognize or let you choose the port in which Pigments sends the MIDI Notes of the Sequencer, This is actually easy to do on other DAWs like Ableton Live, I think the problem here is is the way Logic Pro X handles MIDI ports.

Let me know if there is anything else that I can help you with.

Best Regards,

Andrés - Arturia Support

Honestly I would insist, it seems as if they're unaware of the latest development in Logic Pro 10.7 where Logic does let you choose MIDI input ports including virtual ones such as the ones sent by a 3rd party plug-in.

thanks David, I will do just that! Hopefully they will see it as a positive !

Sent to Arturia.....

Hi Andres,

I’ve been asking others about this issue and something quite significant happened, this week actually, regarding Pro Logic 10.7. I will include the actually threads to the post but in a nutshell, midi porting just wasn’t possible in Logic, but it is now!

David Nahmani from LogicProHelp

The MIDI OUT from AU plugins has been a long-time request from Logic users. However in most cases the 3rd party plug-in manufacturers provide an alternative solution in the form of a virtual MIDI In port, so I would inquire about that with Arturia, ask they seem a very progressive developer.

I then shared your responses and he replied:

I would reach out again, it seems as if they’re unaware of the latest development in Logic Pro 10.7 where Logic does let you choose MIDI input ports including virtual once such as the ones sent by a 3rd party plug-in.

For me, I decided Pigments was my chosen Synth to learn from the ground up. Making it my goto software synth, which I thought would replace Omnisphere. The unique ARP/SEQ in Pigments was a main factor for moving over. Because of my understanding for the ARP in Omnisphere I thought it would be a given to be able to record, inport/export the midi and/or use the ARP to control other VST’s, which was my error.

My ultimate question is: what is the likelihood, that Arturia will take advantage of the new developments in Logic Pro 10.7 and make Pigments the best it can be for Logic Users?

For now, the ARP in Pigments doesn’t do what I need it to do, so I’m back on Omnisphere which is a real shame, because the ARP/SEQ in Pigments is fanstasic, but lacking…for now???

Kind regards, Mark

...but in a nutshell, midi porting just wasn’t possible in Logic, but it is now!

No it's not.

Midi Out on an Audio Units instrument is NOT possible with Logic Pro X because Logic didn't fill in MIDIOutputEventBlock

Here's the value in a AUv3 Instrument.

null.png.b0b14c004f5f45865f00f4c2f83b94ae.png

Here's where you specify the type.

aumu.png.2fec41a2b6ba1bca7aa791ea3a5b76e4.png

Now, if you create a Audio Unit MIDIFX, then MIDIOutputEventBlock is filled in by Logic.

aumi.png.1cc9c7aae36f1fdeeb261b401e438c73.png

The MIDI OUT from AU plugins has been a long-time request from Logic users. However in most cases the 3rd party plug-in manufacturers provide an alternative solution in the form of a virtual MIDI In port, so I would inquire about that with Arturia, ask they seem a very progressive developer.

The work around for developers is what David had mentioned here.

When I start Logic, notice there's no virtual Midi ports.

NoVirtualaPort.thumb.png.2bf513c2e3c3bfae3c08c2c7e7416945.png

But when I load my MIDIFX plug-in I wrote, notice there's a virtual Midi Port, that's because I wrote code to do that. That's what Arturia should do.

VirtualPort.thumb.png.55403123c5d5e0bf7d79efe0e298b756.png

thanks David, I will do just that! Hopefully they will see it as a positive !

For me, I decided Pigments was my chosen Synth to learn from the ground up. Making it my goto software synth, which I thought would replace Omnisphere. The unique ARP/SEQ in Pigments was a main factor for moving over. Because of my understanding for the ARP in Omnisphere I thought it would be a given to be able to record, inport/export the midi and/or use the ARP to control other VST’s, which was my error.

It is possible to get Midi from Pigments but only thru the VST version of Pigments, since VST supports Midi out of an Instrument.

You would need to use Kushview Elements, then load the Pigments VST in that, then route the Midi out into a loaded instrument within Elements.

This shows the configuration using Elements

This is a live setup, which I don't recommend since you can see the high single core

89781463_01LivePlaying.thumb.png.d9ae913d3e049e4beff33bfeef6bb870.png

Midi record first, then you can use Pigments to update the ARP, but don't select that track.

478298642_02MidiPlaying.thumb.png.f7c07945b597be8e21e97cef4c5251bd.png

My ultimate question is: what is the likelihood, that Arturia will take advantage of the new developments in Logic Pro 10.7 and make Pigments the best it can be for Logic Users?

For now, the ARP in Pigments doesn’t do what I need it to do, so I’m back on Omnisphere which is a real shame, because the ARP/SEQ in Pigments is fanstasic, but lacking…for now???

The best way is to not use Pigments and learn about the MIDIFX plug-ins that Logic currently has (Green).

MIDIFX.png.6d2500d621a87d4976374b60fea75d15.png

If you need to do something where you think the available green items can't give you, you can write your own Objective-C/Swift MIDIFX (Orange).

Now while I mentioned that Logic on a Audio Unit Instrument doesn't fill in MIDIOutputEventBlock, that doesn't mean another host that supports Audio Unit Instruments doesn't either. You have to test that. Motu DP, Reaper, Fruity Loops are other hosts that support Audio Units.

• Like 1

Yep, Logic doesn't currently support MIDI output from plugins directly, but plugins themselves *can* output MIDI directly to a MIDI port, so you can loop it back into Logic, which is a feature that some plugins support - this is the only way to get direct playback MIDI output of an AU instrument plugin in Logic.

ValliSoftware describes this all nicely in his above post.

• Like 1