Fading from infinity to zero during mastering

reachvargas83

In the context of mastering a mixed down track, I have seen a few youtube videos that ask us to pull down volume in the automation list to a "negative full" and bring it back to 0db at the point where the track starts. Why is it needed if the track has a lead silence time for 1-2 seconds (and in the end)? They seem to call it as "trimming". What am I missing?

So they are not explaining why they are telling you to do this, or giving any context?

Seems like a poor video that doesn't explain what it's doing.

Maybe there are plugin used that generate noise components, which might be running on the busses/mix bus, which they are trying to minimise, but without knowing the context, it's difficult to say. Maybe you should be asking them in their comments on that video, rather than here?

I have seen a few youtube videos that ask us to pull down volume in the automation list to a "negative full" and bring it back to 0db at the point where the track starts. Why is it needed if the track has a lead silence time for 1-2 seconds (and in the end)? They seem to call it as "trimming".

Can you post a link to the video, with a timing within the video where they share that information?

I have seen a few youtube videos that ask us to pull down volume in the automation list to a "negative full" and bring it back to 0db at the point where the track starts. Why is it needed if the track has a lead silence time for 1-2 seconds (and in the end)? They seem to call it as "trimming".

Can you post a link to the video, with a timing within the video where they share that information?

Stereo out is decreased in volume to negative down and raised to zero with a curve pointing to where the audio starts -

Stereo out is decreased in volume to negative down and raised to zero with a curve pointing to where the audio starts -

Ok so he does state beforehand: "Okay now let's trim our track. So at the start, I do want the track to come in straight away, and have a slight automation of volume so it gradually comes in." — then he proceeds to write that automation. While on the example he's showing it probably doesn't make much difference, I suppose he mostly does it out of habit as a safety to avoid any kind of click or noise when starting the track's playback.

Don't overthink it, all it is is a very fast fade-in to have a clean start that does not sound like a gradual fade in.

If there is 'something' at the top or at the end which belongs to the song, you leave it there and don't tamper with it during so-called mastering.

He is butchering the reverb tail at the end of the song so I don't have any confidence in him doing the proper things at the top, whatever it is that we see/hear there. Using Automation for that is possible but IMO unnecessarily complicating things, as you might as well shorten the Region and put a FadeIn into the Region itself.

I have never had the request to leave 2+ seconds of dead air at the top of any audio file I've ever created, so I can't give an explanation that I myself would actually believe.