Smart Tempo and Flex Time troubleshooting

bboeholt

I have a drum track region that I've smart tempo adapted to get the beats/bars aligned. I've also used this same drum track as the master "star" track and groove tracked all other parts to it to quantize everything to the drum track.

In the smart tempo editor it appears the drum transients are perfectly aligned, but only in the editor. My main Beats/Bars/Div display and all track lanes are not aligned and I have no idea how to reflect the smart tempo results to the main program and tracks.

My goal is (was) to smart tempo adapt the drums to establish a solid beats/bars/div tempo baseline and then use flex time to make needed adjustments to certain parts. My understanding is you need an "aligned" project that is mapped or quantized to a beats/bars/div tempo reference in order to use flex time. As it is, the measure count in the smart tempo editor and the actual song do not match. The audio transients in the main drum track lane are also not aligned to the main beat/bar/div display, but they appear to be perfectly aligned in the smart tempo editor version of this. I can't figure out how to get my smart tempo editor results to sync or reflect in the actual audio tracks and align the song and I'm assuming if i can do this.....I can then use the flex time to make adjustments.

Am I tracking here or am I missing something and/or overthinking this? Super frustrated and I just keep hitting a wall. I've watched every flex time and smart tempo video I can find, but none seem to address this combination of events meaning adapting tempo to a song based on regions and then using flex time to make needed adjustments. I keep telling myself it shouldn't be this hard....but maybe it is :)

Any tips, advice or pointers would be greatly appreciated...

thanks in advance !!

bryan