squealing in response to input/output change

KeithJames
Go to solution Solved by fuzzfilth,

I am ditching a unit that I have not liked using in my system: Audient iD14 interface. It's not just the Audient, I think it's any similar digital audio interface as I had for a short time before the Audient, a Focusrite digital interface, pretty much the same thing. I hated them both. When I went in for a new mic pre-amp I wasn't gaming for something that would completely take over my entire computer's sound system forcing all app and sound sources through the Audient. I resented the redundant and confusing software mixer that was also put in between my and my own system as well as in between me and my DAW, Logic Pro. When I try again, I will look for a pre-amp unit that acts only as a line in for the mic/s or instruments attached to it and one which will not commander my entire computer sound system.

So, with that said, tonight I finally disconnected the Audient and reconnected my monitor speakers to the split connector directly to the headphone jack in the back of the computer. Now I'm finding that my main current project on Logic Pro only squeals loud feedback when I open it up. All other projects that I have started while using the Audient do not do this and they function fine. However, the current project that squeals is also the only one that I did live vocal recording to through mics on the audient. Earlier projects with live vocals all playback fine but they were not recorded while using the Audient digital interface. The Logic Pro is now set to built in sound source and internal mic which I'll switch to the mic line in from my old Pro-Art Tube MP mic pre-amp when I next do vocal recording. In the project that squeals I tried "system settings" for input and I also I think tried turning off the input altogether, I think there was a "none" option under input. But I could not figure out how to stop the squealing. Any clue as to what is going on? Thanks, KeithJames

Since posting this I duplicated a copy of the project and deleted all vocal/audio mic recorded tracks and it plays fine. I then started with a fresh project pasted all the midi instrumentation into it and it still played fine. Then I tried pasting a copy of one of the vocal tracks onto a fresh audio track on the new copy and as soon as the audio that originated from the project recorded through the Audient interface landed into the new project it started squealing. Will I have to just give up these vocal tracks and start over with the mics in their new pre-amp environment?

Thanks fuzzfilth. I knew there was a loop going on and I thought I had turned down the input or something or other in attempt to fix this. Anyway...turned off the orange I-input button and the vocal tracks and all is okay. So glad to have my project back because I was already resigned to loosing all the vocals.