Moving Flex Time marker causes logic to lock up for a few minutes

kokekole

Hello

I have a strange issue with Logic when using Flex Time. I have a project with maybe a dozen of audio tracks and 6-ish software instrument tracks.

Immediately after I move a Flex marker, Logic shows a rainbow wheel and locks up for a few minutes. After it un-freezes itself, the flex marker is moved as I wanted it to, so the end result is correct, it's just it takes multiple minutes for each marker to move.

The issue manifests itself only on certain regions. It doesn't seem to be related to the length of the region or number of regions/comps/takes in the track. I have a couple of tracks with close to a total of thousand takes in 30-40 comps and flex time works seamlessly quickly on those. On the other hand, I have a track with a single comp of 3 takes, some 20 seconds long and it has this issue.

Things I've tried that didn't help

1. Move regions to other tracks

2. Disabling or removing effects on individual tracks as well as master

3. Bounce In Place on regions

4. Dragging the markers by holding them close to the top (so that the whole tail is moved)

5. Dragging the markers by holding them close to the bottom (so that only two small parts before and after are flexed)

6. Remove Original Recording Tempo

The only thing that helps is to export the region as an aif file and then insert the exported file into a new track.

I'm using a 2020 M1 256/16 Macbook Pro.

Any ideas? Just now I recorded a bunch of takes. Flex worked fine on each of them. I then selected two comps, made "Bounce in Place" to another track, then moved the result to another track, trying to use flex and get the rainbow ball for a minute each time I try to move flex markers.

I have narrowed it down somewhat. The problem seems to be occuring only on the regions recorded over the tempo changes. E.g. if I have one part with tempo 120 and then a tempo change to 100, and I record, say, a bass guitar part that spans both section, then if I try to drag the flex markets inside that part, I get the lock ups.

I have narrowed it down somewhat. The problem seems to be occuring only on the regions recorded over the tempo changes. E.g. if I have one part with tempo 120 and then a tempo change to 100, and I record, say, a bass guitar part that spans both section, then if I try to drag the flex markets inside that part, I get the lock ups.

Interesting. I'm not sure why Logic behaves like this in your case, but an idea of a workaround you could try would be to divide the region at the tempo change location, so that the two new regions no longer span a tempo change?