Logic is changing my volume

Vo-1

I just bought Logic a few days ago. I've noticed this problem with GarageBand before, but only thought it was a bug.

I have two instruments looping at the beginning (More Modulation Piano) and (Inst 3). At bar 9 I add in more drums, two different basses, a crash, and a MIDI crash that I turned into an audio track. It is a bar 9 that the two looping instruments get really quiet.

I am positive that I have no automation set.

I looked at the event list for the (Inst 3) region to see if there were any events that were unintended but did not see any.

I've attached a picture of the project. I will gladly take any advice. : ) Thank you!

258634628_ScreenShot2021-10-20at5_34_47PM.thumb.png.6b5d8ebd59a10a5fd356bd6fccd24028.png

Thanks, just checked the project out. I had an initial prognosis based on the screenshot you initially posted but wanted to actually hear it first; but the key symptoms I noticed in the image was the following:

Symptoms:

• • Your volume faders are up. like way up.
    • Even with the volume fader at +5.7 dB, the Piano volume is reading at -16.5 dB.
    • The Stereo Out is clipping at +8.4 dB.

Having actually heard the project now, I can make an informed diagnosis of the issue:

My Diagnosis:

It's the mixing. The volume isn't actually getting lower, it's everything else getting way louder in the mix. I turned my interface volume down in anticipation of this but still had to panic stop the project to turn it down more lol.

Dr. Notes:

If I'm talking at a normal speaking volume (~60 dB), then 5 other people around me all start shouting at ounce (100+ dB), my once normal speaking volume is going to sound lower in context to a bunch of people shouting. That's basically what's happening in your mix.

I do hear what you are saying, how the piano and Inst 3 sound like they are getting quieter, but I think they are just getting drowned out in the mix. You have a channel EQ on Inst 3 with a +15 dB boost from ~80 Hz to 20k Hz, which I assume is done to try and compensate, but this should be a red flag that you need to revisit the rough mixing levels.

Anyways that's my two cents, feel free to get a second medical opinion if you'd like but I think this is the issue.

Now back to binge watching Grey's Anatomy on Netflix lol.

Edited by RobertAnthony

You beat me to it lol. I gave your original project above the ol' College Try at balancing the levels out, and as an added bonus I'll let you copy my homework notes. Read the track notes for each track to see what I did and why (should be open in the project but if not press alt+command+P to open the notepad).

Best of luck on your music adventures.

rap_mix_notes.logicx.zip