Recording Automation from MIDI Controller Question

winip
Go to solution Solved by des99,

Something that I have never understood is why using one of my MIDI controllers to record an instrument track one of two things happens.

Example #1 - Using "Learn" mode in Arturia Mini V3 I assign a knob on my controller to Cutoff in the plugin. I record the track and move the knob. The Cutoff dial moves as expected and all movements are recorded. I play back the track and the Cutoff dial moves just as I have recorded it.

Example #2 - On another track with Alchemy as the instrument I use the Logic "Learn" function and assign a knob to the Cutoff. Again as I record I can see that the Cutoff knob on the screen is moving as expected. However, when I play back the track the notes are there, but the Cutoff has not been recorded. The only way I can accomplish what I want on these tracks is to set the automation to Latch or Touch as I'm recording.

I'd love to know what I'm missing here. Is this just the way some virtual instruments work?

Thank you

• Solution

To use straight MIDI, you use the plugin's own internal MIDI learn features. Omnisphere has this feature, I'm not sure offhand whether Alchemy supports this, I'd have to go and look.

Most plugins without MIDI learn need to use Logic's own controller assignment "Learn" function, but this uses the automation system, rather than recording MIDI into regions.