Circumventing Logic download Restrictions

Awesy

Has anyone tried the Family Sharing route?

I'm running Mojave. I have zero desire to update to Big Sur for a few reasons; most notably that some of my legacy equipment will not even run on it. Apple will not allow me to DL anything other than the latest version of Logic as my Macbook Pro is upgradeable to Big Sur.

But...

I'm wondering if there's a workaround.

My cousin has a purchase of LPX 10.3 in his history. He never upgraded. He said he would be willing to share that version with me via Apple Family Sharing.

The question is, will I be able to DL THAT version on my MBP or will the system recognize my laptop as upgradable to Big Sur and I'm in the same pickle? 10.3 is more than enough for my relatively modest production needs so I don't feel I'd be losing out and could stick with Mojave, which I quite like AND allows for 32-bit plugins, I believe.

If you have any experience or info with this potential solution, I'd love to hear about it. Thanks.

Just to confirm, when you go into the App Store on your MBP running Mojave, go to your purchase history, and download Logic Pro X, does it not allow you to download the latest version compatible with Mojave? You’d need to initiate the download then it should give you a pop-up asking if you want to install a previous version compatible with the machine.

I could have sworn on my 2011 iMac running Sierra, even though I could upgrade to High Sierra, it still let me download the latest version of Logic Pro X compatible with Sierra.

Idk, this just doesn’t sound right lol. Even if your MBP is upgradable to a newer macOS, you should be able to download previous versions of apps based on the installed macOS version, not based on which macOS version you could potentially upgrade to.

That said, it honestly wouldn’t surprise me one bit if this was a new thing from Apple lol.

Edit: You have previously purchased Logic Pro X, and see it in your purchase history in the App Store right lol? If not and you try to initially purchase Logic Pro X on Mojave, then yeah I think it will not let you if you aren’t on a compatible macOS version.

So it sounds like you’ve not yet purchased LPX, and since you’re on Mojave, it won’t let you purchase it because you don’t meet the system requirements of running Big Sur?

If so then yeah, it won’t let you. I’ve had this issue in the past. What you could do is log into the App Store on a trusted Mac running Big Sur (friend, your cousin, etc.), purchase LPX to get it in your purchased history, then at that point on your MBP running Mojave you can install it from your purchase history and it will DL the latest compatible version for that machine. It’s a roundabout way but I’ve done this in the past with a 2011 iMac. Obviously log out of the App Store on the other machine.

Unfortunately, I believe the user ability to do this was changed, at least according to what I have read online (again, recent posts) and neither of the two techs indicated this would work currently. If this option had been presented, I would have certainly tried it. Viewing all this Bitwig content has me thinking, tho'. I could run the latest version of.Bitwig and not really have to worry about anything in terms of compatibility with my computer, legacy hardware, etc. Of course, Logic offers a great deal more with regard to included instruments. This will be one of the hardest things to sacrifice.