Migrating from 2010 Mac Pro to 2017 iMac Pro made logic significantly slower

khaledk

Good evening,

I have been using my trustworthy 2010 Mac Pro for a decade now, with Logic running perfectly smooth. I recently decided to upgrade to a newer system (one that supports newer versions of Logic), so I bought a maxed-out 2017 iMac Pro (128GB RAM, 3.2 GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon W) and migrated my entire system (all plugins and settings...etc)

To my surprise, Logic seems to be significantly slower. Especially regarding the GUI, it's so sluggish (has this Molasses-y feeling), which was something I never experienced with my Mac Pro. There is even a delay after hitting play for the UI to respond.

Here's what I've tried:

-Doing a clean install from the app store.

-Disconnecting all external monitors.

-Clearing Logic Prefs.

Regards,

A lot of variables here...but with a system like that, on the face of it, you shouldn't be getting sluggishness .

What Logic version, what OS, how many plugins - and have you added any since the new system?

How much free space on your drive/s as you seem to be otherwise covered with a decent enough system and plenty of RAM. The more free space the better and I wouldn't want to go below 30% free on any drive whether System or otherwise.

As computers have got more powerful, so has software and plugins utilized that power and Im taking it you would need to have updated your plugins so there's going to be a whole new ball game between 2010 and now.

I assume you got this computer second hand (not sure if you can get a 2017 model new now) - If so how much do you know about its past history. Just something to consider.

How are your plugins installed now vs your old system - External HDD or SSD or internally?