Can I have two versions of Logic on my Mac?

Zillion

Dear Logicians,

I currently use Logic 10.4.8 on my 2016 Mac OS High Sierra 10.13.6.

Both of these versions are - or are close enough to - the native softwares my Mac came with. Logic runs like a dream, I use it for critical projects, and my livelihood essentially relies on it.

Until now, clients have been able to send me their Logic projects and, regardless of their version, I've been able to open at my end and keep working. This is especially useful for vocal sessions where I will remotely record multiples takes on their machine and then they will send me the project for me to comp, edit, and continue production.

The problem is that now some of them have updated to 10.7 and the compatibility has ceased.

Am I able to additionally download Logic 10.7 (or any later version than my current 10.4.8 that my OS will manage)?

This way I can trial it with existing projects but will still have the failsafe of being able to revert to my prior version if problems arise and persist?

Thank you for you time and knowledge.

You can have multiple app versions, but bear in mind there is a limit to what will run on your system. You could download LPX 10.7, but it wouldn't run on High Sierra, because it requires Big Sur. In fact, I don't think your OS supports anything later than 10.4.8, as 10.5.x requires Mojave.

Thank you for your responses - that's very helpful and much appreciated.

So I'm at the very limit of my LPX versions. OK, that makes sense re. the OS update but damn, that'd be quite a leap forward in OS. I'm not sure my humble MBP has the processing to make that jump.

Intel Core i5, 2.7 GHz, 8GB memory - amazing it even still works as smoothly as it does (FWIW it probably helps that I'm a bit old school and always bounce to audio wherever possible and deliberately limit my track count, but still).

Is this where I either have to take the plunge on an OS update or a machine update...?

Edited by Zillion

Yep, dual core.

According to the System Report:

Number of Processors: 1

Total Number of Cores: 2

L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB

L3 Cache: 3 MB

Basic by current standards. And yet it works like a dream. Go figure. Must be the perfect intersection of macOS, Logic version, and workflow.

But yep, I think you're right, triplets re. a new Mac - I'm just bracing myself for the outlay (£££).

I prefer the 'modular' (and cheaper) approach of the Mac mini but my work-travel commitments mean that I need the more encompassing solution of a laptop. I'm looking at the MacBook Pros now (they're all M1)...

Even the most basic 13" would suffice tbh. I have additional screens at home etc. But the issue is then how to deal with having so few ports? Some kind of Thunderbolt hub contraption? God, I miss the days when Mac supplied us with a bounty of port requirements!

Yep, the new MBPs also have a couple of new ports as you already saw.

But they're obviously not cheap because they're pretty fast and powerful.

Since you mentioned a laptop setup, have you considered the Macbook Air?

I know it only has 2 ports, but it's considerably cheaper to get started with the new M1 ecosystem.

You probably need a Thunderbolt Dock like this for your ports:

https://eshop.macsales.com/shop/thunderbolt/thunderbolt-docks

Wow, aren't those OWC hubs brilliant - great shout!

Yes, how to ease into this new M1 world...

My instinct still wants to separate out the machine itself from all the peripheral stuff (like screen, keyboard, mouse), because I already have more ergonomic solutions to those things, and I want to keep all accompanying external SSDs out of the way of damage.

Given that travelling isn't what it was, the Mac mini M1 feels like the rig to embrace. And if being mobile becomes a requirement again at a later date, I could probably justify a basic Air with the savings from the mini.

I really appreciate being able to sound this out with you all!