OK to move LogicPro project files to one location

Zephar77

Accumulating a number of project files and they are located all over the place. It becomes confusing. Is it permissible to move them into one folder on the same disk within the LogicPro projects folder? Or will it mess up the links to audio files and so forth?

Trying to create some organization and a chronology.

Seth

if you're saving as a package, the logic files are self-contained (all the audio is embedded in the file). if you're saving as a folder, move the folders all to one folder.

i have ALL my projects in a single folder in my Documents folder, organized well, and an alias to that parent folder in the logic folder in music; easy access from the 'save' window in logic.

EDITED: thanx, triplets!

Edited by fisherking

if you're saving as a project, the logic files are self-contained (all the audio is embedded in the file). if you're saving as a folder, move the folders all to one folder.

i have ALL my projects in a single folder in my Documents folder, organized well, and an alias to that parent folder in the logic folder in music; easy access from the 'save' window in logic.

•••••••••••••••••••• ••••••••••••••••••••

I have a lot of “saved as folders” as that’s the default, and one assumes early on that’s the best. Most agree, until you’re finished, or think you have.

When you say put the folders all in one folder, how do you mean? Do you mean put all the audio files in one folder and all the other stuff all in similar folders, or keep them separate, and then put them all in one folder? Then the logic files all kept in the one folder above? Seth

I have on big folder on my external HD, that says Logic Projects.

Inside, there are all the Logic projects saved as folders, each one with their distinct name.

I guess the point of all this is to save the projects to one place, but still in their own folders, so as to avoid the audio files to reside in one common folder, being shared by all the projects, and then you got a big mess on your hands when you try to copy a project or you wanna zip it and send it to somebody. Make sense?

Ahhh…. Yes, that all makes sense. I was reluctant to change the position of anything Concerned it might mess up how things are linked together. So it’s OK to move them around to make some sort of order, and logic pro will find them.

Only if they were self-contained originally.

So when you save a project, and include audio files, then it will be self-contained.

It's a good habit to do this procedure before you record anything audio-related.

With midi or software instruments it doesn't matter because midi stuff is part of the project file, no separate folder.

Dang! Had a problem with sound library that started this adventure, so downloaded everything fresh to my SSD boot drive. Previously on my older iMac my SSD was only 128 GB. So I created symbolic links for Logic, Audio, and GarageBand Folders.

Now on my newer iMac with a larger SSD I can place the library there. That was the only thing that would fix the LogicPro quit problem. So my LaCie thunderbolt external drive is my LogicPro project location, and all the sound files are on my boot drive SSD. But now I have triplicates of the sound Library files on my external drive.

To test I only moved 3 of the oldest folders into one folder naming, “To be deleted”. When I opened an old project, now get a dialogue, “Ignore, Retry, Reset”. However, the project plays normally and the audio files are there. So it must be referring to the sound library?

When I replaced the folders to their original locations, received the same dialog box. ??? WT?

I’m wondering, since clicking on Reset says it will re-download the sound library, it will see they are already there and link everything correctly, and not download again? The problem is, there are a lot of projects. Well, ~20. Thinking, must do this for every Project, all folder saved-default? Something is really messed up now!

Daggumit! Just got everything working too, after about three weeks working on this, with the help of folks here, and some other issues on Apple community forum.

Any assists will be most welcome!

Seth