Panner vs balancer for 5.1 surround output

Zephar77

In readings it says a mono input will default to a Balancer, and a stereo input will default to a Panner; however, I have always had the Panner on my mono audio guitar inputs with LogicPro 9 - 10.4.4. I have never even seen a balancer before, until the last couple days.

Initially when opening a 10.4.4 project in 10.6, the Panner was showing for my guitar inputs. When I made a change to an FX, it’s switched to a balancer, which is just a DOT in the middle of the 5.1 surround environment. Returning to the previous setting, did not retrieve the Panner. Not optimal in sound, and sound placement.

I thought it might have something to do with I/O labeling/assignments. But this did nothing, except I now have labeling correct for inputs and outputs, which was lost somehow along the way. Probably when it was no longer in the Home folder library preferences. Why would one lose all their effort for labeling TMPL when transferring this to the project file, along with MIDI environment connections and cabling? Ahh well…

On my older iMac, which maxes out to LogicPro 10.4.4 in High Sierra, I still have the Panners, but again if I mess with the FX settings, get the dreaded balancer. Somehow it makes the surround, sound like mono spacing, even though the volumes are different in all the speakers.

Anyone have the secret to retrieving the Panner for my guitar inputs?

Seth

Thought I would add a screenshot showing the Panner FOR channel strip 3, the acoustic bridge pickup from my Semi-Acoustic Godin MIDI guitar with 13 PIN MIDI. It has 2 Audio pickups for 3 outputs, one acoustic at the bridge, another lipstick towards the neck, 13 PIN MIDI. Usually do not use the lipstick because it has a hum that I’ve tried every trick to get rid of, but for recording it just won’t work. I know there are ways to delete the hum, but the Acoustic is the best sounding.

Hopeful someone chimes in with the fix for changing the balancer back to the Panner for the acoustic guitar pickup!

Seth

31486142-5352-4D59-9A09-3C6F53F444E1.thumb.jpeg.d737736ed4295c4d3b8af4700ff2e05a.jpeg

CS-3 showing Panner for mono PU from guitar