Dolby Atmos Monitoring Format > 2.0

Radiussound

Hi Guys,

I am really excited to work with LPX 10.7 now.

There is no dolby surround system in my studio, but I still want to make use of the Visuals of the Atmos plugin.

In the Atmos plugin on the Stereo Out the Monitoring Format can be set to 2.0, which means stereo.

If I open Atmos on the Stereo Output channel and set the Monitoring Format to 2.0, the panning position of the instruments can be visually seen in the Atmos plugin while working in stereo.

Is this method 'safe'?

You should set the Monitoring Format to Binaural.

Hi David,

May I ask why I should set it to binaural and not to 2.0?

Additional info:

Due to hearing damage I have Ringing in my Ears and therefore I cannot wear headphones anymore. (because if I do the Gentle ringing like it is now becomes really will not stay gentle anymore). That's why I would prefer 2.0 in stead of Binaural.

I was hoping to work with the 2.0 setting because of my hearing issue. I am excited to do a Visual Panning in LPX via the Atmos plugin.

Oh ok then not Binaural, which is for headphones. So then yes you can use 2.0 but I'm not sure what the advantages are over mixing in stereo?

With DearVrPro I can place the sound Higher or Lower and it's really audible when I set the plugin to Speaker mode in stead of Binaural mode, even when I place sounds behind me there is a difference audible (can't really say that I perceive the sound behind me but I am positively amazed sometimes).

And I like to see my panning visually for all instruments in 1 instance of Atmos :)

I am going to try this with the 2.0 in Atmos as soon as I am back in the Studio.

Thanks David!

Yes best to experiment and see what you get. What I would be wary of is phasing issues. One way to make sounds appear larger than the stereo field or located behind or on top of the listener is to make the left and right more or less out of phase, which decreases punch and power and causes issues when summing to mono. And can be downright sickening when listening on headphones (imagine the headphones pulling one eardrum to the outside of your head while it's pushing the other one inside — and consider that we use our ears also for physical balance).

So always consider your final destination and how they'll hear your music.

what david said.

i spent a couple of days playing with surround (my monitor setup is stereo), and mixing surround into stereo is doing something like what 'surround' enhancers do on stereo tv soundbars... all sorts of phase issues, and seriously-unfocused placement. what david said!

Ok good to know.

Were you playing around with the 2.0 setting activated in Atmos when there were phase issues?

mostly, binaural... has some effect in headphones (but not loving it). i don't so much hear sounds moving in a circle around my head, as just sounds losing definition when panning in a circle. start adding up more sounds, and you get this kind-of trippy lack of clarity (some people will like that).

i hate the 'surround' effect on my tv soundbar (am actually using real surround now). the effect widens things,loses integrity. so, a tambourine, for example, will suddenly be really far to the right, drawing attention to itself.

i personally feel that mixing for stereo should be done in stereo :mrgreen: