MacOS Monterey Released

all i have is my opinion, and my experience. here, everything that worked in big sur works in monterey; my experience isn't markedly different, but it seems that the OS is more stable (i mean, i've had less logic or other-app crashes). i'd say... weigh it out. what are the plusses, the minuses? big sur is current enough to still be supported, and runs everything (including logic 10.7).

no OS is ever 'finished', it's always a work-in-progress; new features, changes. bugs squashed, new bugs. there's never a 'perfect' moment to upgrade!

Wise words there, gotta admit it. Eventually, it’s just about how one would “risk it”, if you know what I mean. I think I’ll give it a shot. Of course you’ll advise about having a Time Machine backup in case thing won’t work as expected, am I right? Would Time Machine keep everything, OS versione and plugins and folders alike?

Fisherking, I don't use Time Machine either. Because when I tried to, before updating to Monterey, I was presented with a message telling me that I would need to erase my external SSD in order to use it for TM.

That was a behavior on older versions of MacOS that required MacOS Extended formatting in order to use Time Machine. You no longer need to do that. You can create an APFS volume for Time Machine and keep another volume for your files.

That was a behavior on older versions of MacOS that required MacOS Extended formatting in order to use Time Machine. You no longer need to do that. You can create an APFS volume for Time Machine and keep another volume for your files.

That’s really interesting to know, David!

Could you please explain how to achieve that?

if it were me, i'd get a new drive for time machine (for monterey); format it as APFS, then set it up to back up your mac. once you're sure TM is running, and everything is where it should be on your mac, you can wipe out the previous time machine drive, format that for APFS... and you have it as an external storage drive.

A new drive hmm. I just bought a new Gibson LP Standard and a set of stage lights. I have reached my limit!

I can't connect the old 2TB drive to this iMac because it is a Firewire connection. When I migrated from my old iMac the Time Machine settings were carried across.

• 2 weeks later...
A new drive hmm. I just bought a new Gibson LP Standard and a set of stage lights. I have reached my limit!

I can't connect the old 2TB drive to this iMac because it is a Firewire connection. When I migrated from my old iMac the Time Machine settings were carried across.

Solution: https://www.apple.com/shop/product/MD464LL/A/apple-thunderbolt-to-firewire-adapter

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I must say, that for all the updates that affect plugins and music apps over the years, the work plugin manufactures have to go through to be valid. I don't see the payoff strictly speaking for music apps n plugs performance. With the effort apple has put into getting us onboard maybe they could have a high performance mode for music, super lllooow latency with lotsa plugs going and nothing else in the background deciding whenever to operate causing performance loss, click off when Logic closes. Copy protection, really in 2022 i still need to have a usb stick in a port to use? Face ID could know I have 1000 plugs purchased, 10 demo's, updates and next weeks deals based on the demo's. I understand that they are moving forward faster and have to stay competitive. But i cant help but feel if the M1/OS guys spent a bit of time watching activity monitor pinging all the different protections, the other stuff happening while a heavy Logic tune is pumping away, they couldn't adapt better than expecting the Logic team adapt to the OS updates and new emoji's. Maybe just once, in MACOS 16 release, they could have one of the Logic Team speak, showing Logic with 3rd party software completely hammered under full load, using a Mac's full potential, just for Logic not just on M1

I must say, that for all the updates that affect plugins and music apps over the years, the work plugin manufactures have to go through to be valid. I don't see the payoff strictly speaking for music apps n plugs performance. With the effort apple has put into getting us onboard maybe they could have a high performance mode for music, super lllooow latency with lotsa plugs going and nothing else in the background deciding whenever to operate causing performance loss, click off when Logic closes. Copy protection, really in 2022 i still need to have a usb stick in a port to use? Face ID could know I have 1000 plugs purchased, 10 demo's, updates and next weeks deals based on the demo's. I understand that they are moving forward faster and have to stay competitive. But i cant help but feel if the M1/OS guys spent a bit of time watching activity monitor pinging all the different protections, the other stuff happening while a heavy Logic tune is pumping away, they couldn't adapt better than expecting the Logic team adapt to the OS updates and new emoji's. Maybe just once, in MACOS 16 release, they could have one of the Logic Team speak, showing Logic with 3rd party software completely hammered under full load, using a Mac's full potential, just for Logic not just on M1

huh? and why do you need a stick in a usb port?? even ilok can run without a dongle now. and what does any of this have to do with monterey?.....

Sure lots of 3rd party solutions each one with their own issues and CPU overhead and complications. We've learned to adapt to these and work within them. I think of my iPhone with a bunch of stuff on them, buy a new phone and in a couple hrs or less, all sync'ed and back. In a studio machine, arrgg the thought is days n days mostly regarding Copy protections for my purchased stuff. But really I don't see any benefit of operating the latest OS for music over the last many years is really what I'm sayin.

Sure lots of 3rd party solutions each one with their own issues and CPU overhead and complications. We've learned to adapt to these and work within them. I think of my iPhone with a bunch of stuff on them, buy a new phone and in a couple hrs or less, all sync'ed and back. In a studio machine, arrgg the thought is days n days mostly regarding Copy protections for my purchased stuff. But really I don't see any benefit of operating the latest OS for music over the last many years is really what I'm sayin.

and that's your right. personally, like staying on top of 'the latest', but it's not for everyone. the one benefit: running the newest logic (which works on big sur as well). i love having new options, bugs fixed (andof course don't love new bugs). but we do what we choose to do, it's never 'one size fits all'...

one question: what's the 'copy protection' issue?

I ran into an issue after installing Monterey "security

update" (12.2). I can't get Logic (10.7.2) to launch. It hangs on AU plugin scan . I treid clearing plugin cache and removing all components from folder. Anyone else having this issue? I'm using M1 Macbook Pro 13"