MacOS Monterey Released

Has somebody tried with Logic ?

i've been running it for a year (public betas); on the final release (with logic 7), it's pretty great. OS seems fast, stable (the things i care most about), and am getting my work done in logic. plus, all my 3rd-party plugins work (on an intel mac). of course, my experience does not speak for everyone.....

Is there anything special about all things audio in Monterey except spatial audio?

in what way? nothing's changed in terms of sound, capability. simply spatial audio added in logic, which can happen on big sur as well. there isn't much functionally different in monterey, but it seems fast, stable... which matters most (to me). it's needed for the new macbooks, and will, someday be a minimum requirement. for now, it's just this years OS...

Is it as and stable as Big Sur? Besides some new features p, Monterey seems very Big Sur like to me.

just as a base OS (ie ignoring new 'features' or GUI changes)... it feels similar. but (and this is just anecdotal), it does seem more stable. i mean, thru a year of betas (with some definite hiccups), it's been great with logic (and final cut), and running the new versions of both those apps is going really well (so far).

Compared to BigSur which gave me quite a few headaches (graphics, sluggishness…) Monterey has been a joy to use so far. Mac Pro Late 2013, Logic 10.7.

As a technical side note I also did a clean install of Monterey - I erased the internal HD, installed the factory copy of OS Sierra (!), then reinstalled Logic and various plugins, then imported preferences and bits and pieces from Time Machine, then finally installed Monterey. I also got rid of plugs that I liked to play with but didn't really use. It was a laborious task, but everything flows now.

Can't agree more with everyone here that Monterey thus far has been great, no issues. NicholasVarley does bring up a good point in his mention of a clean install. A clean install vs an upgrade may certainly give you varied results. Mine is a clean install in that I am using by force via purchase of one of the new Macbook Pros. But not feeling forced since it's so far a delight to use. As mentioned by others, feels like a stable Big Sur to me.

Is it worth upgrading to Monterey from Catalina?

I like the idea of using "the same mouse and keyboard with my Mac and iPad" by "just putting them next to each other" and perhaps Mail "allowing you to create 'throwaway' email addresses", but apart from that there is nothing that I would ever need or use.

However, the Spatial Audio in LP 10.7 looks interesting and fun but hardly necessary.

On my macmini 2018 (intel), i upgraded from OSX Big Sur 11.6.1 to OSX Monterey 12.01.

The upgrade went flawless, took about 40 minutes.

LPX 10.7.0 running smooth, no issues at all.

Also no issues with all my thirdparty plugins.

To me, Monterey feels somewhat snappier than Big Sur: Apps are opening abit faster for example.

I am very happy with the upgrade, imho Apple did a great job on Monterey !

Kind Regards.

Just confirmed with Apple that new M1 Pro MacBooks ship with Big Sur and an upgrade certificate for Monterey. The word 'certificate' had me a little confused, as I thought all MacOS upgrades were free anyway. Still, this is my preferred route - if I take delivery of a new 2021 MacBook Pro with M1 Pro chip, I'd like Big Sur because I know everything I have works on Big Sur. I can upgrade to Monterey later.

I asked if there was a method to downgrade from Monterey back to Big Sur, but didn't get an answer.

If you fill out an online order for a new MacBook Pro, it doesn't say which version of MacOS is included.

Just confirmed with Apple that new M1 Pro MacBooks ship with Big Sur and an upgrade certificate for Monterey. The word 'certificate' had me a little confused, as I thought all MacOS upgrades were free anyway.

Indeed they are so that has me confused as well. Perhaps its just a piece of paper in the box, reminding people that they can upgrade their OS to a newer version already, and that the upgrade is free, while at the same time giving them the exclusive feeling that they are gifted something special because they just purchased a new Mac? :shock:

Just confirmed with Apple that new M1 Pro MacBooks ship with Big Sur and an upgrade certificate for Monterey. The word 'certificate' had me a little confused, as I thought all MacOS upgrades were free anyway. Still, this is my preferred route - if I take delivery of a new 2021 MacBook Pro with M1 Pro chip, I'd like Big Sur because I know everything I have works on Big Sur. I can upgrade to Monterey later.

I asked if there was a method to downgrade from Monterey back to Big Sur, but didn't get an answer.

If you fill out an online order for a new MacBook Pro, it doesn't say which version of MacOS is included.

the upgrade to monterey is free. and, if need be, you can boot into recovery, and reinstall the OS your mac came with; in this case, big sur. my guess is, as always with apple, soon enough all new macs will ship with the current OS (so, monterey)...

here, monterey is mostly a small improvement over big sur; much the same, with some new features, and better stability.

here (on my intel mac) fabfilter plugins are fine (they'd better, i live & die by their eqs, comps, etc). my only waves apps (ovox, reel ADT) both work. ALL my 3rd-party plugins work. your mileage, of course, may vary...

That’s great to know. I wouldn’t wanna risk it, otherwise I may go nuts if AU components didn’t work, ahah. What would you suggest? You think one should upgrade to Monterey?

here (on my intel mac) fabfilter plugins are fine (they'd better, i live & die by their eqs, comps, etc). my only waves apps (ovox, reel ADT) both work. ALL my 3rd-party plugins work. your mileage, of course, may vary...

That’s great to know. I wouldn’t wanna risk it, otherwise I may go nuts if AU components didn’t work, ahah. What would you suggest? You think one should upgrade to Monterey?

all i have is my opinion, and my experience. here, everything that worked in big sur works in monterey; my experience isn't markedly different, but it seems that the OS is more stable (i mean, i've had less logic or other-app crashes). i'd say... weigh it out. what are the plusses, the minuses? big sur is current enough to still be supported, and runs everything (including logic 10.7).

no OS is ever 'finished', it's always a work-in-progress; new features, changes. bugs squashed, new bugs. there's never a 'perfect' moment to upgrade!