Inconsistent kick sound created in a VST

Neil Gilmartin

Hi everyone.

While dabbling with some retro synths in Logic recently (not the actual Retro Synth, mind) I created a kick sound using white noise in the ES P. I then created a single kick hit in the Piano Roll, which I duplicated umpteen times.

Each kick hit in the Piano Roll is identical with the others, velocities included, and yet when the kick drum plays, I don't get a consistent sound. Sometimes it's harder, sometimes softer. Anyone know why?

I would have thought that if I have identical settings in the ES P for each hit, and use identical kick hits in the Piano Roll (length and velocity), the resulting sound would be identical for each hit. Is it not this way because white noise is just inherently erratic?

Cheers

Neil

Is it not this way because white noise is just inherently erratic?

That would be my guess, yes. And even without noise as part of the equation I've seen synths, even digital ones, behave somewhat erratically. I remember working with a dance music producer who would always, always bounce his kick drums to audio and use the audio sample, repeated umpteen times on an audio track. No samplers. When I asked, he said that at least, with audio, you are guaranteed to get a consistent kick drum every single time.