Change the new white logic project icon!!!

Rasmus Faber

I started messing with the icon files inside the Logic Pro app package and changing the resource file that lists the default icon but I ended up with .. this. :(

1866189464_errormessage.jpg.9dbbbf694fa406f14e4ceb5e8faa13ee.jpg

If someone else brave enough feels like trying it (considering the risk make sure you have a backup of the Logic Pro app package first, or that you can easily redownload it):

1. Control-click the Logic Pro app and choose Show Package Content.

2. Navigate to /Contents/ and open info.plist for example in BBEdit.

3. Find CFBundleTypeIconFile and either change the string below to your new icon name or change the icon file listed in the string below.

So far... I wasn't successful.

I started messing with the icon files inside the Logic Pro app package and changing the resource file that lists the default icon but I ended up with .. this. :(

error message.jpg

If someone else brave enough feels like trying it (considering the risk make sure you have a backup of the Logic Pro app package first, or that you can easily redownload it):

1. Control-click the Logic Pro app and choose Show Package Content.

2. Navigate to /Contents/ and open info.plist for example in BBEdit.

3. Find CFBundleTypeIconFile and either change the string below to your new icon name or change the icon file listed in the string below.

So far... I wasn't successful.

Hey David

Are you sure that BBEdit is able to handle editing the version of the plist that Logic is using.

Infoplist.png.b1705a90335d85624428940c3d30d57d.png

My Hype4 has a xml based plist which is all text but Logic now uses a newer version of a plist.

If I make changes to the Logic plist and save it with XCode, I don't get the error message where it says to redownload the application.

Actually, this was never allowed before, making changes to the plist file but apparently this has changed. I did this before and I would get the error that you're receiving.

But now Logic allows that.

This is interesting because now you can run multiple copies of Logic by setting the Application prohibits multiple instances to NO.

People who would be interested in this are people who are using orchestra templates, now you can load an orchestra "template" in aother copy of Logic and just send the midi from your main Logic to that loaded orchestra template in another copy of Logic, or you can have MIDI regions in the second copy of Logic. You'd have to decide what's best for you.

I wonder if that's why they did that.

Hey guys, damn that new white Logic Pro project icon makes it super hard to quickly find the project icons among all other icons. Anyone know of a way to get the old look back? (to change the look of all icons of a specific typ I suppose)

Can you do me a favor and just post the steps where I can finally see this "white Logic Pro project icon".

Hey David

Are you sure that BBEdit is able to handle editing the version of the plist that Logic is using.

Infoplist.png

My Hype4 has a xml based plist which is all text but Logic now uses a newer version of a plist.

If I make changes to the Logic plist and save it with XCode, I don't get the error message where it says to redownload the application.

Aaaah!! Very good to know, thank you for pointing that out. You're most likely right since even after undoing and saving again, I got the same prompt (and ended up having to delete and redownload Logic).

But in any case the issue now is that the icon Logic is seemingly pointing to looks nothing like that white icon we're seeing in the finder. So I'm still unsure how to change it.

Ok this thread is branching out into different subjects, but seems related, so if I can add to the confusion:

1. I'm very interested to run many instances of Logic but the way to do it flew over my head a bit. Can someone simplify?

2. Since Logic 10.7 (or since upgrading to Big Sur? Not really sure) I've had Logic upon "crashing without crashing" sometimes opening a 2nd instance of itself, after Terminal has been automatically opened and starting some process. Anyone recognizing this?

3. Weird, I have NO projects at all showing that preview look, all of my icons are white..

the icon is generic, and should be (or course) a thumbnail of the actual project. quick look will preview the file correctly anyway. so, between the file name, and quicklook, am not having a problem with it... it just needs to be fixed.

i have a bunch of project folders that look like this:

Screen Shot 2021-11-23 at 2.20.45 PM.png

LogicProjects.thumb.png.ef95ee99d2496578026966d5cce5089b.png

As you can see, I have older 2018 projects that display the white icon but you're picture shows different icons.

Can you display your folders again but include the Date Modified and Kind columns. I'm pretty sure the Kind column is different on your system regarding the icon display.

But in any case the issue now is that the icon Logic is seemingly pointing to looks nothing like that white icon we're seeing in the finder. So I'm still unsure how to change it.

I just took another look at the plist file and saw an entry that might explaine what's going on.

Infoplist.thumb.png.b451ec64c783c269430dce373417fad5.png

Even though there's an entry for an Icon, notice there's now a key Use system generated icons. Notice it's set to YES. You might have to change that to NO then the entry in that particular document type, it's icon will be displayed.

I think, I could be wrong on this, but I think the reason there's a Use system generated icons is because of the following what we can do on our system, change the appearance.

Appearance.png.ab4abd255cfc597d9c5987f45106d6ad.png

I just took another look at the plist file and saw an entry that might explaine what's going on.

Infoplist.png

Even though there's an entry for an Icon, notice there's now a key Use system generated icons. Notice it's set to YES. You might have to change that to NO then the entry in that particular document type, it's icon will be displayed.

Yes! I think you found it then. I'm sure all you need to do is set it to NO.

am wondering about this, as some of those icons turn into thumbnails, and some turn back to the generic icon. anyway, i think apple needs to fix this (& i reported it); i can't imagine changing every project plist when this happens...

There's only one plist to change, the one inside the app package.

ah, got it... thx

So I'm pretty sure that's the only thing needed to make this work. However I do not have Xcode installed and it takes too much room for my tiny internal drive to install right now.

Would you mind changing that property to NO on an info.plist file and upload it here to share it with us? That would be great ! Thank you. :D

So I'm pretty sure that's the only thing needed to make this work. However I do not have Xcode installed and it takes too much room for my tiny internal drive to install right now.

Would you mind changing that property to NO on an info.plist file and upload it here to share it with us? That would be great ! Thank you. :D

A couple of things I found out about this.

I actually had a folder like fisherking where I had different icon pictures for the same "Kind".

DifferentIcons.thumb.png.49cd2c140503d1e239f770aa7a5a9ae5.png

What I did was re-index with Spotlight my "music" folder only. I rebooted and this was the result.

WhiteIons.png.ed222400fe6a80544294b3262456b84d.png

So because of this I saw this inside of the Logic app.

I think that Spotlight program is now handling the display of icons. I'm guessing at this point since there's no documentation on this.

Spotlight.thumb.png.bf92bf29a863c541c57ee8a6606c56ff.png

BTW - I attached the requested file.

Info.plist.zip

• 2 weeks later...
...and i spoke too soon. ALL my projects on my internal drive prior to updating the OS last night now show the correct thumbnails. but a project i JUST started shows..a generic white icon. and projects on my external drive are mixed. so... not sure what's happening.

Every time I log off or restart the computer, all thumbnails return to normal and replace the generic white icon appeared on some projects. Seems to be a realtime update bug of Logic's thumbnails, I don't know if the bug is from Logic itself or from Monterey.

...and i spoke too soon. ALL my projects on my internal drive prior to updating the OS last night now show the correct thumbnails. but a project i JUST started shows..a generic white icon. and projects on my external drive are mixed. so... not sure what's happening.

Every time I log off or restart the computer, all thumbnails return to normal and replace the generic white icon appeared on some projects. Seems to be a realtime update bug of Logic's thumbnails, I don't know if the bug is from Logic itself or from Monterey.

yeah, am seeing the same thing. hope it gets sorted in my lifetime (but at least it doesn't affect working in logic...)...

Well yeah I have this going on as well. Havn't looked closely enough yet to see if I can find a pattern to it but Ive just noticed browsing to song files from Logic showed all white icons, but browsing through the Finder showed thumbnails. No different after updating yesterday to 10.7.2. It seems to be a random thing as far as I can see.