Strategy for using Rosetta 2, M1 Pro 16

Thorny

I have been using Logic in Rosetta 2 mode for a while now. When I started it the first time on a project that uses 5 AudioModeling instruments and 2 Izotope modules, I saw all of them be processed in the initial scan. Everything worked beautifully, and after that every time it started up normally.

I turned off Rosetta and started the project again. No sign of a problem at all, everything ran fine. If I start the control panel for any of those plugins, I see a small window briefly, the the full window opens. As I understand it, the small window reflects a new Rosetta process starting up.

Am I correct that when you start an Intel plugin in Rosetta it creates a cache of it in its current state that is used when I start up Logic in native mode the next time?

This leads me to think that, for the most part, it may be more efficient to run in native mode after getting things all set up the first time. Usually, there is no need to adjust the plugins after getting set up the first time.

Can anyone confirm or challenge that understanding? I have looked around and cannot find a definitive definition of how Rosetta actually works.

As of 10.7 I have had reasonable success running native Logic with Intel plug-ins. No weird memory bloat, normal behavior. NB I did run Logic in Rosetta mode to let Logic scan all my Intel plug-ins. I have had a couple of plug-ins (T-Racks White Channel and White 2A) that fail to validate when Logic is native. Switch to Rosetta, those 2 plug-ins validate. They work fine when Logic is native, so it's the validation that is the tricky bit.

I am currently of the opinion that I will run Logic native and only switch to Rosetta if I experience difficulties of some sort.