Send start and stop messages from Logic to my TB-03

Gurkah

Hi,

I really could use some help.

I would like to send start and stop messages from Logic Pro 9 to my TB-03 synth. As of now the sequencer on the TB-03 starts when ever I press play in Logic.

I would like for it to only start when I send a start message, and then stop when a send a stop message.

How can I do this?

Help is very much appreciated!

Welcome to the joys of synchronizing hardware sequencers. Logic sends start/continue MIDI messages when you hit play and stop MIDI messages when you hit stop. That is what it is supposed to do...there is nothing wrong going on here.

OK, what you would like to happen is have the TB-03 ignore those messages and not start until you want it to. Now you have a problem. If you filter out the start message Logic sends out when playback starts, that same filtering will prevent sending a start message later.

What I always did when I was using hardware was to create a dummy pattern...one with no notes in it...and then send a song select (or sometimes a program change) message to switch to the pattern I wanted to start playing. I could stop the pattern by switching back to the dummy pattern. However, the TB-03 does not support this! In the TB-03 MIDI implementation chart you can see that song select is not supported (x) but the start, stop and continue messages are all supported..

1339237370_ScreenShot2021-11-26at4_21_35PM.thumb.png.2585330422a0b73494668ea629f2bb68.png

One workaround is to build a song on the TB-03 by chaining patterns. The song can contain dummy patterns in the spots where you want the TB-03 to not play. This will work because the TB-03 supports Song Position Pointer so it will know what bar and beat Logic even if you fast foward, rewind, loop, etc.