10.7.1 - Does Ice9 (Cerberus Safety Limiter) work?

willmarlogic

have never heard the legendary white noise burst... wonder what the issue is? hardware? a particular plugin? just curious (so, no idea if ice9 works in 10.7.1). something makes that happen, and yet, not for everyone....

Odd... I don't think it's hardware as it has happened with no hardware hooked up, so like the other reply said, maybe it's related to third party plugins?

have never heard the legendary white noise burst... wonder what the issue is? hardware? a particular plugin? just curious (so, no idea if ice9 works in 10.7.1). something makes that happen, and yet, not for everyone....

Odd... I don't think it's hardware as it has happened with no hardware hooked up, so like the other reply said, maybe it's related to third party plugins?

it would be great if all the people who've experienced this compared their third-party plugins; maybe there's that 'common denominator'. just think it would be better to, once and for all, resolve the issue; then no bandaid (ice9) needed.

Never experienced it and never want to. Installed recently and working on my system. (If you go over the threshhold the audio cuts out...a very small price to pay when it comes to protecting your ears)

From what Ive seen, theres isolated cases of this happening and pinning it down on something specific is like looking for a needle in a haystack. Too many variables. For example, theres a thread on Native Instruments forum ... 668db-spike-from-massive-x-massivex which was recently closed as an update fixed it. Did everyone who got this issue have MX installed?

I don't see any reason why ICE9 would not work in the latest version of LogicPro 10.7.x. Give it a try, its not hard to test out.

Nobody really knows why it happens sometimes. I don't really care whether LogicPro is at fault vs some plugin or USB audio hardware, or coreAudio or something in between. I am very doubtful of it being from a plugin and more suspicious that something related to shuffling audio from one buffer to another somewhere in the chain is at fault.

But I think all DAW's should build ice9-type protection into the DAW, make it optional, but build it in. LogicPro may or may not be the thing causing it, but it certainly isn't doing anything to stop it either.

One nice thing about using ice9 is that it forces you to take a harder look at your signal chain and make sure every instrument and audio track is keeping under 0db (otherwise you'll be triggering ice9 all day long to cut off sound). So that's a good thing..and then when the toxic blast happens, ice9 will chop it off.

My 2 cents (for what that's worth). It seems to me that if the cause of the problem is Logic or a 3rd party plug, then ICE9 would probably help. If it's from any other issue such as CoreAudio, Audio Interface, anything outside of Logic, then I don't think ICE9 is going to help.

As I understand, ICE9 only sees (hears) the signal coming through what ever channel strip it's on. Any issues in the signal chain after that (typically your audio interface) will not be monitored.

It’s probably the same reason it happens in Studio One - some kind of exception is poorly handled when third party plug-ins go nuts. Passing invalid data, non-numerical data, losing sync with the audio engine, etc. In that DAW it is also only audible with some interfaces, although it varies whether one exception will be audible with some interfaces or others. Not directly relevant to Logic but might give some insight since they’re both plugin hosts with a similar rare issue.

Never experienced it and never want to. Installed recently and working on my system. (If you go over the threshhold the audio cuts out...a very small price to pay when it comes to protecting your ears)

From what Ive seen, theres isolated cases of this happening and pinning it down on something specific is like looking for a needle in a haystack. Too many variables. For example, theres a thread on Native Instruments forum ... 668db-spike-from-massive-x-massivex which was recently closed as an update fixed it. Did everyone who got this issue have MX installed?

Not related to MX for me since I've never used it. I experienced the burst years ago when I had very few third party plugins as well :shock:

For me? it works. Why I need it? There are multiple causes and uses actually. As noted, there are multiple threads on several boards going back years on the subject. It's your choice. Currently I have it as last place in SoundSource set to 0DBFs...hth.../s~

Thank you, I just wanted to make sure it still worked since there have been no updates (and isn't even available for download anymore, just random links from helpful people who use it) since it has saved my ears so far.

Cerberus Audio Ice9 v1.1.1 is compatible with macOS 12.0.1 and Logic Pro 10.7.1

The latest installer is available here http://vstplugin.net/cerberus-audio-ice9-automute/

As the installer is not signed, control-click on the installer package, then select Open to install. Restart after installing.

NUGEN Audio SigMod v1.2.3 is a good alternative and is also compatible with macOS 12.0.1 and Logic Pro 10.7.1

Here's another recent account. Someone started a thread couple of weeks ago and said never had it happened until now. It seems until someone finds a common denominator this problem keeps on keeping on and no one is immune.

https://www.native-instruments.com/forum/threads/kontakt-and-kinetic-metal-just-blown-my-left-speaker-tweeter.462705/

The MassiveX issue was also mentioned and a Mod there said "It was uninitialized memory in one place that was very tricky to find (and it was Mac AU only)."

Here's another recent account. Someone started a thread couple of weeks ago and said never had it happened until now. It seems until someone finds a common denominator this problem keeps on keeping on and no one is immune.

https://www.native-instruments.com/forum/threads/kontakt-and-kinetic-metal-just-blown-my-left-speaker-tweeter.462705/

The MassiveX issue was also mentioned and a Mod there said "It was uninitialized memory in one place that was very tricky to find (and it was Mac AU only)."

i ran massive x for some time (no longer) and have never experienced this. maybe everyone who has should list their 3rd-party plugins? see if the common denominator is there? anyway wish all well who have dealt with this...