Mic suddenly sounds harsh and robotic

Bradm227

Ok I do hear the difference and I don't think it's a proximity effect issue nor would I describe the first lines as nasal or harsh or robotic. If anything I would say they're slightly duller while the latter ones are a little airier, a bit more articulate.

The difference isn't huge though and I think it could be the position of the mic or how you sing into the mic. Vocals are quite sensitive to mic angle and mic height, because your vocals don't project the same towards your chest vs towards your nose, even if it's less than an inch difference in height you'll hear it.

It could even be just the performance, the way you're projecting your voice, that's slightly different. Or a combination of both mic angle/position and performance.

But one thing is sure, it has nothing to do with Logic. When recording digital audio, Logic is just taking the zeroes and ones coming from the interface and putting them in an audio file, it's not affecting the sound of the recording in any way shape or form.

especially when I’ve listened to it lots of times

I think that's the key right there. Think of a word. Any word. Like - fulcrum. Now say it loud. Fulcrum. Say it loud 50 times. Fulcrum fulcrum fulcrum... By the time you have said it 20 times, it will start to sound odd. By the time you have said it 50 times it will sound very weird and you will not like it. It will begin to lose its meaning. It will even read weird. Fulcrum. When you encouter that word again in weeks or even months, it will still stick out due to your overexposure to it.

If you want to keep putting out 2 songs per week, then you need to learn to commit and move on. Look what happened. A handful of experts with double that amount of highly trained ears have a hard time hearing what you're obsessing over. Is the performance and the emotion there ? If no, go for a walk then try again. If yes, move on, the world does not care if you were half an inch to the left or had a peanut butter sandwich between takes. You have lots of ground to cover.

Hi guys, I took a couple days off to give my ears a rest and went back to recording. I had a couple of songs I’ve been working on and once again the performance and sound isn’t up to standard , I was wondering if this could be latency ? I appreciate all of your help but for me it’s a sticky situation as I know that it doesn’t sound the same, could it be the mic or latency?

You may hear latency while monitoring your live performance in real time, if that's what you mean? Then yes that's possible. If that's the case, make sure you disable either software monitoring in Logic Pro (in the audio preferences) or monitoring in your audio interface software, so you don't have double-monitoring, which would make your vocals sound weird while you're monitoring them.

However during playback, there's no latency, you hear only the recording.