Importing Projects in Different Tempos

MSR

I recorded a song without a click track, the tempo of the song being a different tempo than the project tempo. For editing purposes, I need to import the track to a new new project with the correct tempo on in. (121BPM) I tried to import the project; however, it seems that the tracks won't line up as they should. Is there a better way to do this? Alternately, as I just upgraded to 10.7.1, so there's also a chance possibly this is a bug? Edited by MSR

I recorded the bedtracks of a song years ago before I knew how to use Logic X, as I've mostly been using analog tape in the past. I ignored the project tempo, turned off the metronome and recorded as one would do if Logic were tape. I played a midi drum machine to create a sort of click track which is in a different tempo than the project. I've been overdubbing on those bedtracks; however, I'm at the point where I need to be able to cut and paste/edit sections and re-arrange the arrangement. To do so, I'd need the project tempo to reflect the tempo of the song, which is exactly 121BPM, so that tracks snap to the grid. Does that make sense? Not sure if I'd need to export the tracks to a new project with set 121BPM. How would I make this work? Thanks for your input!

Thank you for your help. I'm trying to look into that but it appears to be a bit of a maze. This is what I get when I search "Write Project Tempo to Audio File"

https://support.apple.com/kb/index?page=search&src=support_book_welcome&locale=en_CA&bookid=3074510f3f6fee44b4db0ab45fe1e422&rurl=https%3A%2F%2Fsupport.apple.com%2Fen-ca%2Fguide%2Flogicpro%2Fwelcome%2Fmac&title=Logic+Pro+User+Guide&query=write+project+tempo+

Could you point me in the right direction?

Also, would smart tempo work? https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT208458

First line up everything until the Metronome sounds in time with your recordings. To do that you can use either Smart Tempo, or Beat Mapping (more tedious but useful in case Smart Tempo does not yield the expected results).

Then choose Edit > Tempo > Write Project Tempo to Audio Files. Do this only once the Metronome in Logic sounds in time with the audio.

Thanks. I've never used Smart Tempo before. Tried a few apporaches without success. The following is what I did and what what resulted:

I went to File > Project Settings and selected Adapt. That didn't change anything. Closed project without saving.

Then, I selected to AUTO and changed the project tempo to 121 (while soloing the percussion tracks, mentioning that in case it matters). The metronome and percussion lined up, but suddenly, a number of tracks were off, both Midi and otherwise. There are a lot of tracks in this project, so trying to review and line up every track seems time consuming if there is a better option. I saved this an a separate project in case I need to go back and edit.

I then opened the original project and while almost everything was as it was before (inc. song in 121BMP project in 1, now two of the midi tracks were no longer in sync. This seems like buggy behaviour to me. I checked project settings and smart tempo was not on. I turned it on to adapt and the problem persisted. In a sense, it's not a huge deal in that I was planning on rerecording those tracks anyway but it's still disconcerting. Could this be a 10.7.1 Issue?

Ayhow, not sure how to proceed. Any help or viewpoints welcome.

As suggested, I opened a new project, set smart tempo and began the process of importing the project files. I did so through the media browser. I selected all the audio files and checked all the boxes. I did not select the Marker, signature or tempo tracks or the project notes. When I selected 'Import Project Settings', a pop-up window came up with a number of boxes to potentially check re: import settings. To what extent would this affect what I'm trying to achieve? Should I check all the boxes or will checking some of the boxes, such as sync, affect what I'm trying to achieve?

Thanks for your help Atlas007. It's the import settings displayed in the media browser. I just went ahead and clicked all the boxes, and that seems to work.

In any case I did as David suggested and ended up with the same sort of situation I did before. Some files and in sync and some aren't. I'm kind of amazed this is so so complicated! Any tips as to how to proceed appreciated.

Note: I did not choose Edit > Tempo > Write Project Tempo to Audio Files. as only some of the files were in time with the Metronome. Or rather, maybe all were in the same tempo but not where they were suppossed to be, whereas other files were simply wuite likely not in the right tempo, not sure.

Tempo metadata information is added automatically to the exported or saved tracks (audio and MIDI) by Logic (and some other DAW, and probably other recording devices).

Which could make it complicated is that Logic is reading and tries to deal with the recorded material embedded tempo information, when importing same in the tracks.

If originally your audio recordings had no such embedded tempo metadata, I would try dragging each file in Logic tracks, line their region borders (or sound start) to the first bar, then use Smart Tempo to analyse those tracks in order for Logic to ADAPT the project tempo to those files en bloc.

If your project was initially created in Logic the answer is yes.

If it was recorded otherwise, you would have to seek that info after the source of the recording mean (other DAW or recording device).

The idea behind finding about that embedded tempo metadata is to use Logic accordingly: in order to line up your tracks and play in sync as they were originally recorded.

MIDI data files (by nature) will automatically align with the bars and beats of the current project. Once imported, increasing the project's tempo will make them play faster... Decreasing the project's tempo will make them play slower... That goes also for other tempo fluctuations (i.e accelerando). In short MIDI files data will follow the project's tempo they are imported in.

OTOH, audio data files won't be affect by the project tempo. So you could record audio at any project set tempo.

And once recorded on a track, increasing/decreasing the project's tempo will not make the recorded audio play faster/slower. The audio data will keep playing at its originally recorded pace. Unless you flex time that audio track or use VariSpeed (but those are other topics). BUT, the project's tempo will be printed (embedded metadata) in the audio recorded file.

The way I understand your situation, your original audio recording is playing back at 121bpm, and probably has another (different) embedded tempo of (originally project's tempo was -?-120bpm); playing along are MIDI data tracks which were originally playing in sync with the above mentioned recorded audio (121bpm) but lined off-beat to an originally project's tempo of -?-120bpm since they weren't recorded after the metronome...

Do you start visualizing the conundrum?

What you obtained so far results from what Logic could make of the way you proceeded...

The above suggestions were attempts to circumvent that conundrum...

2 options:

re-record, or learn different ways to fix that conundrum.

I guess that the answer to your second question is up to you.

To clarify, I don't know if the audio recordings had embedded tempo metadata. How would I find out? Would I need to find out?

Here's what I would do then. Forget about any potential embedded tempo metadata, it doesn't matter for what you're about to do. Do not use Smart Tempo and keep it set to "KEEP".

1. Import all your audio files.

2. Press play and listen. Do all the audio files sound in sync with each other? Yes, then proceed to #3.

3. Open the Beat Mapping global track at the top of the Tracks area.

4. Beat map the track: Use beat mapping on audio regions in Logic Pro

5. Turn the metronome on and make sure your audio is in sync with the metronome? Yes, then proceed to #6.

6. Select all the audio regions and choose Edit > Tempo > Write Project Tempo to Audio Files.

If something does not work in this process, tell us what exactly, adding screenshots that illustrate your difficulties: How to attach files to your post