How to check max velocity in group of notes?

Danny Wyatt

How about via the Event List editor?

In the Piano Roll the colour of the note event could give you a hint especially for the broader differences.

In the Piano Roll again, the automation (velocity) points should also help you spot same at a glance, especially if the zoom is adjusted accordingly…

Event List doesn’t allow me to sort notes by value, which would be useful. When I click the Val column it doesn’t do anything.

Also, I need to know the exact max value (not an estimate) of hundreds of notes in a song (HiHat).

As previously mentioned:

"in the Piano Roll again, the automation (velocity) points should also help you spot same at a glance".

Yes but for example if I have 200 notes, all close to each other and all between 120 and 125, it will be almost impossible to see that minor difference. Right? I’m not in front of the computer now and I cannot test it, but I would assume it’s not practical. That’s why I was wandering if there was a tool, feature or workaround that would give me the exact value, the same way we can see the lowest velocity looking at the velocity slider on the sidebar

Indeed I'm afraid that other than spotting it visually, there's no way to sort by velocity or select lowest velocity in Logic.

The lowest is possible, Looking at the velocity slider on the sidebar. The highest is what seems to be impossible...

It’s weird that the event list lets us click the columns title, but then it doesn’t sort the notes...

The lowest is possible, Looking at the velocity slider on the sidebar. The highest is what seems to be impossible...

I thought you meant you wanted Logic to show you which specific note has the lowest or highest velocity. ;)

No, no :)

I just want to be able to know the lowest and highest value in a group of notes. That’s why sorting the notes under Event List would be useful

Perhaps using the Transform function to highlight some notes according to certain criteria or perhaps resorting to a spreadsheet; but those methods aren't probably as quick and easy as your's to view the lowest notes velocities. Which by the way, I admit not really understanding what you mean by that slider trick. I'm not at the studio presently and would like to check your method when I get there...

Perhaps using the Transform function to highlight some notes according to certain criteria or perhaps resorting to a spreadsheet; but those methods aren't probably as quick and easy as your's to view the lowest notes velocities. Which by the way, I admit not really understanding what you mean by that slider trick. I'm not at the studio presently and would like to check your method when I get there...

When you have the Piano Roll open, the sidebar where the slider to adjust the velocity, the quantize, etc (not the main Inspector). If you select more than 1 midi note, next to the slider you will see a value. That’s the value of the lowest note for that selection. So finding the lowest velocity can be achieved. Finding the highest, not really...

Finding the highest, not really...

Yes really... :mrgreen:

In this example, my lowest velocity is 3 (red) and I noted the highest velocity at 100 (green).

1646869361_lowestvelocity.thumb.png.dacc0532d7ef4af34b23339fc46841a4.png

While you've selected a group of notes (I selected all the notes), click and drag the velocity slider all the way to the right, then release the slider.

clickanddragtotheright.thumb.png.274e34b2ffb878493c21d95880e28ba6.png

Now notice the new velocity that the lowest velocity was change to.

afterrelease.thumb.png.c15e51e5d4e4b43ff5647ce3903851cc.png

Subtract this new value from the previous value.

30 - 3 = 27.

Now subtract 27 from 127

127 - 27 = 100

Now look at the first picture, the highest velocity in a group of selected notes. :mrgreen:

Oh, make sure to undo so the velocities go back to the original values.

• 2 weeks later...
Finding the highest, not really...

Yes really... :mrgreen:

In this example, my lowest velocity is 3 (red) and I noted the highest velocity at 100 (green).

lowest velocity.png

While you've selected a group of notes (I selected all the notes), click and drag the velocity slider all the way to the right, then release the slider.

clickanddragtotheright.png

Now notice the new velocity that the lowest velocity was change to.

afterrelease.png

Subtract this new value from the previous value.

30 - 3 = 27.

Now subtract 27 from 127

127 - 27 = 100

Now look at the first picture, the highest velocity in a group of selected notes. :mrgreen:

Oh, make sure to undo so the velocities go back to the original values.

Thanks for sharing the detailed tutorial. Will definitely save this for future reference ;)