MIDI Device behaving incorrectly within Logic

Breenfactor

There's no MIDI input message in that AQA assignment, so it won't react to any incoming MIDI, which is why it's not working. There needs to be an input message - use the same value change and touch settings as for the master fader assignment above.

And as per my instructions, you need to edit the master fader assignment so that it's still there, but *doesn't* react the the incoming MIDI message - you can probably just delete the input/value change, or change it to channel 16 or whatever, anything so it doesn't work (as we're not using the master fader functionality any more).

I changed thee AQA assignment to use the same values as you suggested but it still doesn't work. I also deleted the input/value change in the master fader assignment but still no luck.

When I activate AQA a message o course pops up telling me that it will enable the selected track current automation parameter to be controlled by a MIDI input of my choice. I then proceed to move the fader as it asks and when I am doing that it actually works as expected, but then I press "done" and it saves the assignment in the No Zone area under a label called "Time Code Led" and then after it's saved hit doesn't work anymore.

Also, a question since you managed to make this work: ado you need to enable AQA and reassign the fader every time you change a parameter to be controlled or does it do automatically? (which I hope)

Also, a question since you managed to make this work: ado you need to enable AQA and reassign the fader every time you change a parameter to be controlled or does it do automatically? (which I hope)

When AQA is on, selecting a track with an automation parameter visible means it is automatically controlled by the MIDI control assigned to it.

In other words, with this method, when the Master button is off, the fader/pan controls the track in the usual way. When you press Master on, instead the fader controls the currently selected/visible automation parameter on that track, and you can change whichever parameter you want and write automation for it. You can even reveal multiple lanes of automation parameters and choose whichever lane you want, and that will be the parameter the fader will control.

That's the purpose of AQA - to give you one physical control (typically something like a mod wheel on a keyboard) that's able to write automation for whatever plugin parameters you want. There's no reassigning of the control, it's a one-time thing (unless you want to change it.)

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/guide/logicpro/lgcp4604c973/mac

Too late for more troubleshooting now, will resume next time...

When AQA is on, selecting a track with an automation parameter visible means it is automatically controlled by the MIDI control assigned to it.

In other words, with this method, when the Master button is off, the fader/pan controls the track in the usual way. When you press Master on, instead the fader controls the currently selected/visible automation parameter on that track, and you can change whichever parameter you want and write automation for it. You can even reveal multiple lanes of automation parameters and choose whichever lane you want, and that will be the parameter the fader will control.

That's the purpose of AQA - to give you one physical control (typically something like a mod wheel on a keyboard) that's able to write automation for whatever plugin parameters you want. There's no reassigning of the control, it's a one-time thing (unless you want to change it.)

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/guide/logicpro/lgcp4604c973/mac

That's exactly what I thought and what I wanted to be reassured about! Yep, it's definitely the goal here.

Still no luck, though. I stopped after I sent you the screenshots in the previous post, hoping that you could take a look at it and maybe confront it with your own settings.

It still displays the AQA working just during the "learn mode" and then, when done, it stops working.

Since I believe it's now just a matter of a few clicks, having implemented MidiPipe and set thins as you instructed, maybe if it's not asking too much from you, we could do just a quick share screen where I show exactly step by step what I am doing and you can easily correct me "in live".

Let me know what do you think, Des!

So basically this is the Controller Assignment of the CH9 fader is Master Level Mode (I re-typed the original input/value change as deleting them did not help, but maybe some additional steps were needed)

1286429243_ScreenShot2021-12-02at15_31_18.thumb.png.1b8dea54750f28d7616eb4446f6d8622.png

And this is the Controller Assignment after using AQA and making the Master Fader "learn" the AQA. As explained in the posts above, when the AQA is in "learn" mode, the Master Fader works properly and it registers, but as soon as I press "done" and the AQA is saved, the Master Fader doesn't work anymore in AQA.

460736433_ScreenShot2021-12-02at15_31_58.thumb.png.751da1fa431fc9d418c3818e2b571f5d.png

MidiPipe is running in the background set as Des instructed.

Since I believe it's now just a matter of a few clicks, having implemented MidiPipe and set thins as you instructed, maybe if it's not asking too much from you, we could do just a quick share screen where I show exactly step by step what I am doing and you can easily correct me "in live".

Yes, that is asking too much. I'm not real-time personal tech support, and nor is it my responsibility to get this working for you.

I'm happy to discuss my solution, and help (somewhat) to get you there, but I can't do everything for you so you don't have to understand what's going on, sorry.

You *still* have no MIDI input message on the AQA assignment - I already said in the previous post this needs to be the input message the previous master fader assignment had (which is listening for your master fader control), and you need to alter the master fader assignment in the way I suggested so it doesn't respond to the master fader.

Yes, that is asking too much. I'm not real-time personal tech support, and nor is it my responsibility to get this working for you.

I'm happy to discuss my solution, and help (somewhat) to get you there, but I can't do everything for you so you don't have to understand what's going on, sorry.

You're absolutely right and I do apologize for having asked you that.

I am definitely grateful or the help you are providing and I just hope to get this working.

So, I did as you instructed: I deleted the input/value change from the Master Fader assignment and I entered those values into the AQA assignment (Time Code Led) input/value change. Now it gives an "infinite" symbol when I move the fader and the automation line doesn't move.

2117700599_ScreenShot2021-12-02at16_46_17.thumb.png.1680205d87e9f5afebae71aff31c23da.png

Under "Value", bottom right, change "Mode" from "direct" to "Scaled".

I did that and now it shows the various levels instead of the infinite symbol, but they don't move smoothly at all and the automation line doesn't show/move.

updated: now I set the min max value 0 to 127 (it was 0 to 0 before) and it seems it's working correctly. Let me check all the parameters.

re-updated: It bloody works!! Ahaha sorry for the excitement but man, I have been trying to make this whole thing work for so long (Des knows what I am talking about, ahah).

So basically the steps are:

- set MidiPipe as Des explained in the posts before, in order to filter just CH9 (Master Fader);

- deleted the Input/Value change of the Master Fader Control Assignment;

- type in those values into the AQA fields;

- change the mode to "scaled" and set min and max value "0 to 127"

Edited by Randlefish