10.7.1 - still timing issues with side chained channels / time based plugins...

Stoobysnax

So since 10.6.2 or 10.6.3, they have fixed the timing of sidechaining on a bus (Ie. a compressor plugin on a bus, side chained to a kick... no longer pumps out of time)

That's good...

But, they broke individual channel time based plugins...

Ie. On a track, you have a compressor with SC input set to the Kick. Also have some latency inducing plugins... then a Tremolo, or LFO Tool, or something that is time based and syncs / snaps to the beat.

In this example, the Tremolo plugin is now offset from the downbeat, and is out of time. The amount its out depends on how much latency inducing plugs you have. The issue is, even if you compensate and adjust the offset of the plugin so it sounds in time, as you build up a track and ad more stuff, the timing can go out again... For this reason, you lose exact recall and for me, can't use anything past 10.6.1 because there are too many question marks as you build / finish tracks. The feel is constantly changing and needing to be adjusted.

This issue is NOT at all present in 10.6.1. However, 10.6.1 has the bus / sidechain timing issue. Somehow by fixing the one, they broke the other. I have sent logic a bunch of feedback on this for 10.6.3, and 10.7, and now 10.7.1.

Here's a very small, logic plugin only example session with notes if you want to check it out...

To hear the issue, press play... the pulsing of the tremolo is "out of time"... Then remove the compressor plugin altogether (not bypass), or change the compressor side chain input back to "internal".... bam, the tremolo is now pulsing perfectly on the beat as it should be.

*NOTE... turn on the click so you can hear the issue more clearly. It's really obvious.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/g5a9degsfsi1mun/LPX%2010.7.1%20Timing%20Issue%20Still.zip?dl=0

I can confirm this. Simply adding an empty track that listens to a side chain (even if both tracks involved are routed to No Output) will throw off the timing of all time-effect plugins on any and all unrelated tracks. Tested various Apple and 3rd party effects.

Did anyone from Apple ever respond to your feedback on this? I just sent a feedback form about it as well.

I can confirm this. Simply adding an empty track that listens to a side chain (even if both tracks involved are routed to No Output) will throw off the timing of all time-effect plugins on any and all unrelated tracks. Tested various Apple and 3rd party effects.

Did anyone from Apple ever respond to your feedback on this? I just sent a feedback form about it as well.

Great thanks. The more people that send this feedback the better. They have already been in touch with me for more info / session examples, but that was on 10.6.3... Nothing since 10.7.

I suspect this is a huge and complicated issue to fix. The fact that they fixed the side chain timing itself, but that that broke the plugin timing, to me suggests that somehow they are linked and it's not an easy fix. However, they need to fix it since both of these issues are pretty crucial if you use both at the same time, which I do all the time.

I suspect this is a huge and complicated issue to fix. The fact that they fixed the side chain timing itself, but that that broke the plugin timing, to me suggests that somehow they are linked and it's not an easy fix. However, they need to fix it since both of these issues are pretty crucial if you use both at the same time, which I do all the time.

Yeah, I've seen similar issues with other DAWs' audio engines take a while. Someone designs the audio engine with a flaw, they fix it, the fix breaks something else, they unfix it, they eventually re-do the offending section of the audio engine entirely.

Hopefully we get it all straightened out soon.

• 3 weeks later...

I always send apple bug reports and feedback to https://www.apple.com/feedback/logic-pro.html

They often get back to me wanting session examples and more detail. Been back and forth with them on this one since 10.6.2... Just sent another for 10.7.2.... Anyone else that notices this (which is everyone using side chain, latency inducing plugins, and plugins with time sync'd fx) should do the same.

I always send apple bug reports and feedback to https://www.apple.com/feedback/logic-pro.html

They often get back to me wanting session examples and more detail. Been back and forth with them on this one since 10.6.2... Just sent another for 10.7.2.... Anyone else that notices this (which is everyone using side chain, latency inducing plugins, and plugins with time sync'd fx) should do the same.

Right, I sent some too. It’s not just “time sync’d fx” though. You can no longer use Wavesfactory Trackspacer or any plugin setup to accomplish a similar goal such as Waves F6, Oeksound Soothe, etc. It’s a big drag on mixes from some of my clients that provide an instrumental and an acapella stem.

I do think it would be helpful to have this thread in the bug report section so people can find it more easily and follow the issue’s (hopeful) progress.

It’s not just “time sync’d fx”. You can no longer use Wavesfactory Trackspacer or any plugin setup to accomplish a similar goal such as Waves F6, Oeksound Soothe, etc. It’s a big drag on mixes from some of my clients that provide an instrumental and an acapella stem.

Oh right... When you say "can't use"... you mean, they work, but they are affecting / ducking out of sync I'm guessing ??(I have Soothe 2 but haven't checked in this context yet)

Oh right... When you say "can't use"... you mean, they work, but they are affecting / ducking out of sync I'm guessing ??(I have Soothe 2 but haven't checked in this context yet)

Yes, the result is out of sync with the rest of the song. So if I’ve got Trackspacer, F6 (or any Dynamic EQ), or Soothe gently reducing spots between 500-3k when the vocal gets louder, then you hear those spots getting quieter on the wrong words, meaning I can’t use the result.

Yes, the result is out of sync with the rest of the song. So if I’ve got Trackspacer, F6 (or any Dynamic EQ), or Soothe gently reducing spots between 500-3k when the vocal gets louder, then you hear those spots getting quieter on the wrong words, meaning I can’t use the result.

Got it, didn't even think about that.

Ya this is really a huge issue... Nice to have side chain ducking in time now on busses... but not at the expense of track based timing... I'm still on 10.6.1 cuz of this.

I'm still on 10.6.1 cuz of this.

Good call. I wish they had a way to download earlier versions...

Hear, hear. I started saving backup copies prior versions of Logic because of this issue. Any track-based sidechaining I do throws track timing off entirely, even if it's just Logic's native compressors.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Yes I've had similar issues since 10.6.2 onwards, some channel plugins nudge the channel audio out of time, it's a bit of a nightmare. Turning on low latency mode gets them back in time, but all externally sidechained channels then go out of time! Melodyne ARA and Nicky Romero kickstart create the problem, but most other plugins are ok. Have submitted to feedback to Apple but never had a reply

Yes I've had similar issues since 10.6.2 onwards, some channel plugins nudge the channel audio out of time, it's a bit of a nightmare. Turning on low latency mode gets them back in time, but all externally sidechained channels then go out of time! Melodyne ARA and Nicky Romero kickstart create the problem, but most other plugins are ok. Have submitted to feedback to Apple but never had a reply

Yeah, I haven't heard back from them either. Apparently it's either use 10.6.1 and have bus side chains not work properly or use 10.7.2 and have track side chains not work properly.

• 1 month later...

Just wondering if anyone who is on Monterey can test out the link below to see if the timing issue is the same across Big Sur and M.... Trying to sort out if it's a logic issue, or an OS issue (I'm on BS). Thanks

Ryan

So since 10.6.2 or 10.6.3, they have fixed the timing of sidechaining on a bus (Ie. a compressor plugin on a bus, side chained to a kick... no longer pumps out of time)

That's good...

But, they broke individual channel time based plugins...

Ie. On a track, you have a compressor with SC input set to the Kick. Also have some latency inducing plugins... then a Tremolo, or LFO Tool, or something that is time based and syncs / snaps to the beat.

In this example, the Tremolo plugin is now offset from the downbeat, and is out of time. The amount its out depends on how much latency inducing plugs you have. The issue is, even if you compensate and adjust the offset of the plugin so it sounds in time, as you build up a track and ad more stuff, the timing can go out again... For this reason, you lose exact recall and for me, can't use anything past 10.6.1 because there are too many question marks as you build / finish tracks. The feel is constantly changing and needing to be adjusted.

This issue is NOT at all present in 10.6.1. However, 10.6.1 has the bus / sidechain timing issue. Somehow by fixing the one, they broke the other. I have sent logic a bunch of feedback on this for 10.6.3, and 10.7, and now 10.7.1.

Here's a very small, logic plugin only example session with notes if you want to check it out...

To hear the issue, press play... the pulsing of the tremolo is "out of time"... Then remove the compressor plugin altogether (not bypass), or change the compressor side chain input back to "internal".... bam, the tremolo is now pulsing perfectly on the beat as it should be.

*NOTE... turn on the click so you can hear the issue more clearly. It's really obvious.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/g5a9degsfsi1mun/LPX%2010.7.1%20Timing%20Issue%20Still.zip?dl=0

• 3 weeks later...
FYI just testing this out again with 10.7.3, issue is still there, they have not fixed it.

Bummer... Back to 10.6.1 for me, the last reliable logic :(

Disappointing how long a bug that was introduced has been staying in.

I do have 10.6.1 as well but so many stability issues were fixed between now and then that it actually isn't so reliable in my studio. Shame, really, since I have to resort to a lot of weird routing with buses just to run a single track to a plugin's side chain.

FYI just testing this out again with 10.7.3, issue is still there, they have not fixed it.

Bummer... Back to 10.6.1 for me, the last reliable logic :(

Disappointing how long a bug that was introduced has been staying in.

I do have 10.6.1 as well but so many stability issues were fixed between now and then that it actually isn't so reliable in my studio. Shame, really, since I have to resort to a lot of weird routing with buses just to run a single track to a plugin's side chain.

Ya for me it's the inconsistency with things like Tremelo plugins, LFO Tool, etc. As the project evolves, the timing keeps shifting more and more, and you have to constantly adjust the "offset" to have it snap to the grid. Which means the tracks feel can subtly shift / change as you go without fully realizing it. It's so frustrating.

I do like that busses can be side chain compressed now properly... But the work around before was at least more reliable than the work around now for the new issues.

I still think that this bug is a very difficult fix for them... I'm almost doubting that we'll get a fix before a huge shift to a Logic 11 or something.

I also can reprodue this like the following:

procedure:

1.) one track playing steady noise

2.) addlimited with 200ms lookahead (to make it the most obvious

3.) added tremolo to gate the noise at 1/4

4.) bounce

result: delay is properly compensated

5.) add compressor to the new bounced audio track

6.) select instrument 1 (the one playing the noise) as sidechain input

7.) bounce instrument 1

result:

timing it totally broken, plugin delay compensation do not work

896580721_Screenshot2022-03-21at14_08_51.thumb.png.daacc4ce1ea133b93e20e2615bb1b3d5.png

I also can reprodue this like the following:

procedure:

1.) one track playing steady noise

2.) addlimited with 200ms lookahead (to make it the most obvious

3.) added tremolo to gate the noise at 1/4

4.) bounce

result: delay is properly compensated

5.) add compressor to the new bounced audio track

6.) select instrument 1 (the one playing the noise) as sidechain input

7.) bounce instrument 1

result:

timing it totally broken, plugin delay compensation do not work

Screenshot 2022-03-21 at 14.08.51.png

Yup exactly, there you go. And this does not happen with 10.6.1 or earlier. Just a massive issue with logic now, which for me has made anything passed 10.6.1 unusable / unreliable.

• 8 months later...