Create 1 Track vs 2 Track Automation Points for parameter

wing
Go to solution Solved by Atlas007,

I noticed the keyboard shortcut menu has the following options:

Create 1 Track Automation Point for visible parameter

Create 2 Track Automation Points for visible parameter

(and alternatively for regions and vol/pan/sends etc)

However I tried them out and they appear to have the same exact functionality - no matter what "create 2 track automation points" only creates 1. I've zoomed out and tested multiple tracks to be sure - it never creates more than 1 point. Am I doing something wrong? I've tried selecting the tracks, selecting regions, selecting with the marquee tool, and it's the same. I searched the manual and google for this and could find no documentation about these.

But if I can I'd like to properly set 2 automation points in one keystroke!

It happens anywhere on the timeline. Since there isn't any official documentation on these (at least that I could find), what exactly is Create 2 automation points meant to do? Like 2 points surrounding a selection or something? That is my guess but I could be missing something here...

• Solution
I’m not at the studio to confirm same, but IIRW, the "Create 2 Track Automation Points for visible parameter" will create 2 superposed points (making one masked by the other) on each end of a selection. Dragging up or down the automation selection between those visible points will create a ladder step, revealing the 2 points on each end of that selection. One of those 2 points being the original automation level and the second being the levelled step one.

I’m not at the studio to confirm same, but IIRW, the "Create 2 Track Automation Points for visible parameter" will create 2 superposed points (making one masked by the other) on each end of a selection. Dragging up or down the automation selection between those visible points will create a ladder step, revealing the 2 points on each end of that selection. One of those 2 points being the original automation level and the second being the levelled step one.

Oh my, that's it! A tad convoluted (I was assuming it meant it creates around a selection which is why I was confused why it looked like just one), but sure enough when I drag apart the second point is revealed. Thanks for helping!

It happens anywhere on the timeline...

Yeah sorry, wasn't very clear there... If you enter the command on a track without any automation, one automation point will be created at 1.1.1.1 and the other on playhead position...

EDIT Disregard this post and read the correct answer from Atlas... :D (Both commands do what I wrote, but second one creates two points at playhead)