Hours of work lost

Sascha Franck

Worked on a remix. Spent hours (pretty much all day) on it. All of a sudden Logic got wonky (I checked some Kontakt patches before), didn't want to load some instruments for Sampler anymore and what not, so I decided to save and restart. The song version that it came up with after a reboot is something that I saved - well - hours before when I started it. Around 20 full length recorded tracks and tons of edits just lost. The audio files are still there but of zero help because I edited most of them already. And quite obviously, all MIDI data is lost anyway.

I thought I could go back to some safety copy - but there's been none! I always had this set to "last 10 versions" but apparently the setting reverted to default (which is "none") after some update.

This is majorly p***ing me off!

For example - you are working on an external disk, the disk goes offline (which to an extent could explain Logic going wonky all of a sudden) and you hit save. You quite likely will be presented (or not) with some generic location, like your home- or music-folder, and you may or may not have been aware of that change.

For example - you are working on an external disk, the disk goes offline (which to an extent could explain Logic going wonky all of a sudden) and you hit save. You quite likely will be presented (or not) with some generic location, like your home- or music-folder, and you may or may not have been aware of that change.

Sounds kinda plausible but as my working drive is internal, it kept working all throughout. I also searched for the project name, just in case - no hits.

Besides, why would Logic go back to the first saved version created straight after booting? I must've saved around 100 times or so (pressing CMD-S is second nature to me since decades). It could as well have returned to any other version but it was just the one I had opened when I was shutting off Logic and the computer the day before.

Anyhow, from now on I will always manually save a new version after each relevant round of edits - I'm sure that even if the autosave function would be on (which is another gripe - I mean, an update usually should keep your preferences), there'd be no "revert to" options, simply because the only existant project file was way old.

Fwiw, Mojave in general seems to be quite a bit less stable than High Sierra. For instance, it sometimes "forgets" to activate USB ports/devices and one of my interfaces doesn't always properly wake up from hibernation - none of these has ever been an issue with HS. I've also had a Logic crash or two when using Battery 3 - which is a pity because NI completely messed up version 4 IMO, but it seems I need to get along with it now.

Time Machine should be running all the time, making continual backups of everything you do to an external drive. It runs by itself about once an hour, but if you've just hit an important milestone, save your work and click "Back Up Now" in the toolbar. Then wait for it to finish before you proceed.

"Time Machine: Don't Leave Home Without It.™"