Is it possible to select marquee by clicking to create a start and end point, instead of clicking and dragging?

psrpsrpsr
Go to solution Solved by David Nahmani,

I find that marquee selection using Cmd+Click+drag is helpful for most situations, but when I do this for a large chunk of a song, I'd like to be able to achieve the same result, except with two clicks:

1.) click the exact start point

2.) scroll to the exact end point

3.) click the exact end point

Is this possible through an existing workflow, or by creating new custom commands?

Here's a video demonstrating the Cmd+Click+drag technique:

Thanks in advance.

It worked! Thanks so much! This forum is such a great resource.

Question: I generally like to self-service questions like these as much as possible. Of course, in this instance, I couldn't figure it out :) What would you recommend for a knowledge base for this type of use-case?

It worked! Thanks so much! This forum is such a great resource.

Great! Good to hear that it worked. And thanks for the compliment. :D

Question: I generally like to self-service questions like these as much as possible. Of course, in this instance, I couldn't figure it out :) What would you recommend for a knowledge base for this type of use-case?

Well... there is... that... book I wrote!! :lol: https://www.logicprohelp.com/logic-pro-x-book/

Then there's the official manuals...

But I've come to realize that sometimes you are looking for very specific information, like you were in the original post of this thread here. And for that, you'd be wasting so much time trying to look for that information in any kind of reference material, that it's just easier to ask. So if you have a friend, or a mentor, or work in a studio with engineers, or go to a school with fellow students, and teachers... then sure it's easy enough to ask around (although many times, they won't have the answer). But in any case that is exactly why I have created this forum, so that you can ask for help on specific topics or when you're in the weeds and really need a personalized answer from a fellow Logic user.

So do not hesitate one bit to ask anything and everything on this forum, that is what it's for! And in creating a question/answer or problem/solution thread, you may help others now or in the future, who have the same question or problem!

• 3 months later...

Hi David, let's say I wanted to use this method for all tracks in a Group, so that I can automate Gain for the exact same point across multiple tracks. Is that possible?

I'm finding that it's not - I have tried starting the Cmd+click on track 1 and ending with the Shift+Cmd+Click on track 2, and only track 1 has the automation points created.

What does work is regular marquee selection across both tracks, but ultimately the select-and-scroll method you suggested is what I'm looking for :)

1584212754_CmdShiftClickMarqueefor2tracks.thumb.png.43f36cb147fb289186f07ccd7d77a416.png

I think you are clicking and dragging - that works for me as well.

I'm wondering more about the select-and-scroll method that allows me to use pinpoint accuracy at the start and end points by zooming in, selecting, flying to the end, zooming in, and selecting:

1. Command-click the starting point.

2. Scroll to the end point.

3. Shift-Command-click the end point.

I think you are clicking and dragging - that works for me as well.

I'm wondering more about the select-and-scroll method that allows me to use pinpoint accuracy at the start and end points by zooming in, selecting, flying to the end, zooming in, and selecting:

3. Shift-Command-click the end point.

aHA! I get it now.

So indeed, it's a little tricky, but here's how it works:

3. Shift-Command-click the end point to extend the Marquee selection horizontally on the same track.

4. Shift-Command-click somewhere between the start and end points on the lowest track to extend the Marquee selection vertically to that track.

I hope that makes sense?

All is well until I get to step 4 - when I Shift+Command+click on the lower track, it simply re-adjusts the marquee selection instead of creating automation points across both tracks.

1787317317_ScreenShot2022-03-10at6_41_28PM.thumb.png.3d754c4c86043877295100c0b41cee61.png

If I simply click one the upper track after step 3, I get the automation points drawn on the top track only.

670713833_ScreenShot2022-03-10at6_43_26PM.thumb.png.bdd836ee06628ad52e809a86e4ab23bd.png

As an alternative, is it possible to copy the automation points created by a regular marquee-select+click from 1 track to another? I think this would be a suitable workaround. So in that second screenshot, I'd just be looking to copy down those -1.3 db start and end points to the bottom track.

All is well until I get to step 4 - when I Shift+Command+click on the lower track, it simply re-adjusts the marquee selection instead of creating automation points across both tracks.

Yes, that's the expected behavior. The points are automatically created later when you start dragging the automation curve on one track. The curve is then replicated on all selected tracks when you release the mouse.

Just go through all the motions and you will get the desired result.

automate.gif.3d6cb4b505db2e4d4153190189708e70.gif